starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ask Rip #44: Pants, etc.

Default Ask Rip #44: Pants, etc.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    What kind of pants look best on guys with big thighs from squatting? Tapered, straight legged, skinny? How aggressive should the taper be if there should be one?

Default Ask Rip #44, Pants for Lifters

Urban Star has a Stretch Relax Fit for about $30 a pair. They can be found on ebay and at Costco. I can do full squats in them with no problem and they last for years.

Default Ask Rip #44: Pants, etc.

Ask Rip #44 | Starting Strength Channel

Apparently, I forgot to post this. I had no idea how important pants are.

Rip, did you say Carhartt B11?

I'll check out Urban Star Stretch Relax Fit too since I have a Costco membership. The jeans I'm wearing aren't working out too well anymore, and I'm worried my iPhone is going to break when I sit down...

Phone fits in the right side ruler pocket of the B11s.

Urban Star jeans are the best I've found. I was able to get them for about $16 each at Costco. I highly recommend them if you are thigh dominant.

The back and forth regarding the Golgi tendon organ seemed a bit muddy (approx. 3:43). I think what was being asked was "are there cellular/anatomical aspects of aging that make it impossible for the elderly to regain function?".

Is there actually any controversy as to whether or not the Golgi tendon organs exist? Or was this just a momentary misunderstanding on Rip's part as to what was being asked? (Golgi gave his name to a number of sub-cellular structures...).

For anyone who doesn't care about pants much or who doesn't have a lot of money:

I buy all my non-dress pants at Goodwill and just get sizes that are 4 inches too big in the waist.

I've spent about $30 on pants in the past 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post
    For anyone who doesn't care about pants much or who doesn't have a lot of money:

I buy all my non-dress pants at Goodwill and just get sizes that are 4 inches too big in the waist.

I buy my pants 2" too large in the waist to accommodate a holster which also solves the thigh problem.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jhoyda View Post
    I buy my pants 2" too large in the waist to accommodate a holster which also solves the thigh problem.
    Ooof. There's a 300+ post thread in the training forum titled "the pants problem" that was meant to prevent this sort of sartorial blasphemy. Start here. The dressier equivalent to the 541s mentioned in the video and thread is probably the Hudson fit khakis from Brooks Brothers. Roomy ass and thighs, tapered leg. MSRP of $90 is a tired joke, so get them during the semiannual sale for like $45 a pop, same as the 541s. Not sure to many of you guys would be caught dead at a J.Crew, but note that the outlet carriers a squatter-friendly "Bleeker" fit for their casual pants and jeans: same theme with the roomy behind and tidy legs. Mine all cost under $20, and one was about $9. Comfort and aesthetics are by no means mutually exclusive, and can be done on the cheap, everyone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast