starting strength gym

Thread: Adapting workout to injuries

Default Adapting workout to injuries

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    About 4 weeks back I suffered a muscle strain/tear in my right calf while jogging on asphalt with a buddy. First squat workout after was pretty painful and I missed my last rep on the last set because of this. Partly due to work related matters I decided to take a 2 week break from training.

After these two weeks without training I felt fine and decided to give the texas method a try since I was a little above intermediate level based on PP's appendix. The following routine was used for one week:

Day 1 (volume):
    5x5 Squat
    5x5 Press
    5x5 Row
    5x5 Dips

Day 2 (maintenance):
    3x3 Front squat
    2x5 Light press
    2x5 Light row
    5x5 Chin-up

Day 3 (intensity):
    1x5 Squat
    1x5 Press
    1x5 Deadlift

On the second workout the injury resurfaced though and after seeing a physiotherapist she suggested that I would have to take it easy when it comes to right leg work until the injury heals.

How is the best way to adapt to such an injury? I can't seem to find any material concerning such matters in your books. From what I've tried squats and deadlifts causes to much stress on my injured calf. Should I continue my routine but with significant less weight with or without higher reps, eliminate those exercises for a while or do alternative exercises?

The approach I've been taking this last week is to do one-legged squats on my left leg (pistols) with a front squat grip on the barbel. I tried one-legged deadlifts but the amount of weight I had to use to keep my balance was far to less for causing any stress on my back. Maybe stiff legged deadlifts would work seeing as I can do bent over barbel rows without feeling the injury? Or maybe just do rows all three days?

The problem is that you never rehabbed the calf injury. Unfortunately, things don't heal if you let them as your PT suggests -- they heal if you make them. It isn't as much fun to work through an injury as it is to work around it, but it works much better and much faster. Use the principles described in this previous post:http://strengthmill.net/forum/showthread.php?t=309

Let us know how it goes.

Unhappy

Mark,

What about back injuries? Right now I have a bad upper back injury. Whenever my upper back rounds I feel a sudden jolt/ache. It started a little over a week ago, it barely hurt. It has gotten progressively worse and more sensitive the past couple of days. I have done no physical activity either, it seems to be manifesting on its own. I have to always remain upright and in thoracic extension as any deviation away from that and towards a back in flexion hurts. Have you ever came across similar injuries?

Thanks.

Thanks for the helpful response. I should have searched the forum more thoroughly before posting.

Tried this routine today, the weird thing is that I did not feel the injury while doing sets of 25's. I don't know if this is positive or not? I feel the injury while walking stairs, sometimes during general walking, and moderate-to-heavy squats. I also felt it when crouching down to position plates after performing 3x25's.

I created this account just so I could reply to this post. I have recently followed the regimen in the link Mark posted, and it really does work.

It is just as boring as he says it is, but for me it was the way to get out of a semi-chronic injury, that wouldnt heal no matter how much rest I gave it. And it does give you a chance to work on technique, flexibility and other things.

Now I am at it thanks a million to Mark for all his hard work here.

I agree with Rip and his past post. When you have started the healing process, light massage with a topical agent will also help to promote nutritous blood flow to the area to promote healing and proper scar tissue formation. Follow this up with some light foam roller or tennis ball massage and range of motion movments (pain-free). Hope this helps!

starting strength coach development program
    Sounds to me like Baldr has a spinal situation that might need a chiropractor's attention. Get that done before you try anything else.