starting strength gym

Thread: Interesting Pain from Squatting

Default Interesting Pain from Squatting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I follow your squat technique from SS. I've noticed on occaison after squating I have an unusual pain just above my knee cap on either knee. Noticable when standing up or when I pushing into the tissue just above the knee cap. What are the possible causes for this? Is it possible that I'm dropping to quickly on occasion? or possibly am I going too low. As soon as I began training squats, I had little problem getting absolutle full range of motion, however I attempt to keep it reasonably past parrallel.

I suspect that you have developed some patellar tendinitis. This is usually, at least at your level of training development, caused by a form problem. Post a video here and I'll check it.

I've been having the same issues from squatting. First it started at the tops of my knee caps. I rested for awhile, then let that heal. Then I went back to squatting again, but I then started getting pain underneath my kneecaps (at the top of the shinbone). My doctor told me that later issue was patellar tendenitous. I didn't tell him about the first one, since that healed after a long rest period.

After reading SS about a month ago during my recovery. I realized that my form needed lots of improvement. Since then, I lowered the weight and worked on perfecting my form. I don't feel any pressure in my knees anymore. A wider stance seems to work well for me.

I have this problem too, but just on my right knee. What form problems generally cause this to happen? I first thought it was from maybe not pushing my knees out the whole time, but it still happened again anyway.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I made a few videos. I couldn't really find an optimal angle to put the camera so I took multiple videos at different angles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxADtc2Bwpo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ-OYcS7jgo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mTFv9E1SJ0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08bYwyOOeHM

I definitely seem to have patellar tendinitis. At this point what should I do? Take time off or take it easy?

starting strength coach development program
    The high-bar squat you are using is being done well, and you did a good job of showing the angles in the video. If want to use a high-bar squat as your normal version of the lift, that's fine, but be aware that there is a more acute knee angle inherent in this squat style and that it bothers many lifters' knees. A layoff seldom accomplishes anything except de-training, so it's better to figure out a way to train through the injury if possible.

That way would be to make your knee angle less acute, i.e. your shins more vertical, and this entails using a low-bar position. The bar is in balance during the squat when it is directly over the middle of the foot, and this means that the bar lower on the back allows this position of balance to be maintained with a more horizontal back angle and consequently more vertical shins. See SS:BBT for the complete explanation of how they're done.

Low-bar squats are easier on the knees and low-back, allow more weight to be lifted, involve more hamstring and adductor, and will take enough stress off of your patellar tendons to let them heal while you continue to squat.