starting strength gym

Thread: achilles tendon getting tight

Default achilles tendon getting tight

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coach,

I was approximately 6 months into your Starting Strength program before a non-workout related neck injury forced me to lay off for a bit.

I'm back into the program now and feeling good. I have your 1st edition Starting Strength book and have read it multiple times.

The one problem I had before and is now returning is my achilles tendon seems to get really tight after a workout and seems to get even more tight as I get further and further along in my program. Its to the point that it feels tight even after a full day following the workout.

I have tried multiple stretches for the achilles tendon before and after my workout but doesn't seem to help.

I've video taped myself from different angles during my workouts and my form looks like your book says it should be. Have you seen this problem before? Will this go away with time?

I also wanted to say great book. I'm very much a beginner and I could easily understand all aspects of your program. Very simple and effective workout. I was in the United States Marine Corps and wish I had this book back then. No program I ever did while in the Corps comes close to the results I've seen from your program.

Thanks,

Thanks for the kind words, but I have never heard of an Achilles tendon problem associated with either squats or deadlifts, even when done wrong. Do you have a pre-existing injury in this area?

No I do not. The issue started after doing heavy squats on your program. There isn't pain or anything like that. The achilles tendon just gets really tight.

I do make sure to stretch really well after my workout and use two stetches for the achilles area which does seem to help.

You have officially Stumped the Band.

This may not be related to your achilles tightness but it might, what kinda shape are shoes that you are wearing while you workout? Try wearing a different pair for a period of time and see if there is a difference. Also, keep stretching but also try this. Take a tennis or golf ball and place it under the arch of your foot and place some body weight onto the ball and roll it back and forth under your foot. You will find usually two uncomfortbale spots, when you find this spot keep the ball there and place more body weight on the ball for about 15-20sec and continue to roll out the arch. You can keep doing this for a few minutes to both feet. See if that totally takes away the achilles tightness.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the stretch you mentioned. I have tried a couple different shoes and actually did my squats barefoot for a bit. I found that I'm most comfortable with shoes and finally settled on a pair of Nike flat rubber soled shoes similar to a pair of chucks.

starting strength coach development program
    A pair of actual weightlifting shoes with a heel would probably be the best solution to a squatting problem caused by footwear. They are really the only piece of personal equipment you should absolutely have.