starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching deadlift with squats

Default Switching deadlift with squats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been doing SS for about 7 weeks and I noticed last week that my deadlift and squats were at the same weight(260lbs). I was still increasing by 10lbs each workout on deadlift until 2 workouts ago, but I can tell squats are going to need a reset probably within a few workouts. So I figured that switching deadlift with squats(deadlift 3x/week, squat workout A) would be logical.

Today I tried it out and already I found a problem. For the first time I wasn't able to increase weight on an exercise, and that exercise was standing press. In fact, I could hardly do 5 reps with 70% of my projected weight for it. I know it must have been caused by the deadlift.

Does this mean there is no way of doing deadlift every workout, switching it for squats?

If you have been doing the deadlift every workout, then you have not been doing my program. I specifically state that deadlifts CANNOT be tolerated as well as squats, and explain why in my normal lucid, easy-to-understand style. I suggest you review this material and start doing the program correctly.

I have been doing the program correctly, I just started planning on doing deadlift every workout this week. Then on the first workout it negatively affected standing press. The reason I wanted to increase deadlift frequency is because I was trying to catch it up with the other lifts.

The deadlift should have been done after the press, so I am puzzled by this. And you have been doing power cleans?

Since deadlift affected standing press, wouldn't standing press affect deadlift?

And no, I'm doing rows.

The press has little effect on the deadlift since the press involves far less whole-body work, and when done before the deadlift it has no material effect in a fit person.

And if you are doing rows instead of cleans you are not doing the program correctly.

I do have reasons why I chose barbell rows instead of power cleans. Barbell rows is a much simpler movement and would make me less prone to inury during the exercise than cleans. I could learn to do cleans properly, but that would take a lot of time to study and practice it to perfect the movement, and I am on a strict deadline until my tryouts. Also, I carefully studied other people's training journals who did SS with rows or cleans, and general progress wasn't any different between the two.

So if you have "reasons" for substituting exercises into the program, it's really still the same program? Therefore I made a mistake including cleans when rows really actually work just as well? Well, alrighty then.

Your program is your program, so if rows aren't in that template then using them is incorrect according to your program.

I know you say to use cleans. Is this conclusion based on theory, or experimentation/observation and theory?

starting strength coach development program
    It is based on logic, the sciences of biomechanics and exercise physiology, and 30 years of experience with the results of the program.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast