starting strength gym

Thread: First post - Thanks Mark

Default First post - Thanks Mark

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Well I found this forum through another forum that I always go onto. I was asking advice about a stomach strain that I got from squatting, and he directed me to this part of the forum. I was happy as hell to find that there is a forum like this where you answer people's questions.

I don't exactly have a question for you right now, but I did just want to say that I bought the starting strength book since I've been having trouble with my squat form. That book is awsome! It really points out a lot of very important points that I overlooked before in all of the major lifts. I started the routine this past Saturday, and damn it's a killer. I've never done a full-body routine before. I've been doing mainly an upper/lower split from the NROL book for the past 8 months. The full-body routine is a nice change, and damn do I feel the difference already! I will most likely be switching back and forth between your routine and the NROL routines every few months - going through hypertrophy and strength phases.

So thanks for providing me with all the good info. Practical Programming is the next book on my list.

Thanks for the kind words. But move PPST up on your list to find out why your plan of switching between novice and intermediate programs won't work well.

Ya, I realized that I wasn't going to be able to keep adding weight to the bar every single workout. I was actually thinking more along the lines of the Bill Starr (or Madcow or whoever came up with it, not sure?) 5 x 5 linear model. Which increases weight every week instead of every workout. I just started on the novice version of it to see what it felt like to squat 3 times a week. It's feels friggin good! I was going to alternate the hypertrophy routines from NROL with the intermediate 5x5 routine for strength increases.

No matter what though, I'm still getting practical programming right after Christmas.

Once you get PPST, you'll realize what's wrong here. A novice CAN and SHOULD add weight to the bar every workout. There is no such thing as a "novice version" of an intermediate workout. And the 5 x 5 workout was developed by Mark Berry back in the 1930s.

I have limited time here, and I'd rather not ignore questions, but my time will be better spent answering questions from people who have already read the books.