starting strength gym

Thread: Elbow pain

Default Elbow pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    In the squat chapter of starting strength you describe a headache like elbow pain from supporting the bar incorrectly. I don't get this from squats but when doing dips w/ rings it is really bad. I haven't had any problems with my elbows from bench or normal dips but for some reason ring dips wreck my elbows. What could be causing this?

Thanks

Where exactly is the pain?

The pain is on the back sides of the elbows at the top of the joint. Its a dull pain that lasts about a day.

Thanks

That sounds like triceps tendinitis. It may be that you are allowing yourself to settle into a deeper elbow angle on the rings than on the bars, and this would be especially true if you started the ring dips at the bottom rather that at the top lockout position. Stop doing them for a while and see if they heal.

Stopped doing ring dips, elbow pain went away. So if i wanted to do ring dips again does this mean i shouldn't go below a 90 degree angle w/ my arms? Or is it something else? Or should i just give up on the ring dips entirely? thanks again

Try parallel bar dips and see if they hurt. If not, work back into ring dips slowly.

Not to hijack the OP but I get a sore that lasts for about a day sometimes from rock climbing. It's on top of my arm just below my elbow, not really in the actual joint, but just below it. I've been trying to warm up better and it works some days, but every once in a while it just will start throbbing and I have to stop climbing because of it. What else can I do besides proper warmup and time off?

starting strength coach development program
    Get your pullups stronger. Sounds like brachialis pain, and just needs a bit of work.