starting strength gym

Thread: One Lift a Day questions

Default One Lift a Day questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Andy,

At age 51, I'm tapped out on a novice progression and after looking at the options in PPST3 and TBP, a four-day, one lift a day approach makes the most sense in terms of scheduling and recovery.

Based on other family members' schedules, here's what I'm looking at:

Monday - Bench press + shoulder/tricep assistance
    Wednesday - Squat + chins/good mornings
    Friday - Press + chest assistance
    Saturday - Deadlift + curls + sled (best to confine this to Saturday because it's a little noisy on the sidewalk for early mornings)

M/W/F will also include some short conditioning via rower, Air Dyne, or sprints.

My first question is on Saturday deadlift day. PPST3 suggests light squats on deadlift day (3x5 at 80%). TBP doesn't mention that. Would the light squats make sense on the program I'm outlining?

Second, I do enjoy the Olympic lifts but am currently taking a break; power cleans seem to bother my knee. When I'm ready to add them back, where would you put them?

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Some need the frequency with the addition of the light squat day, some don't. So it kinda depends on you. You could do them before or after your deadlift.

Power cleans could be done after squatting as your light pulling movement or first on DL day as a warmup for your Deadlifts