starting strength gym

Thread: Varying rep ranges within HLM

Default Varying rep ranges within HLM

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been reading a bit about "daily undulating periodization" and realizing that the classic HLM setup from PPST pretty much falls into this category. However some of the examples I've seen online vary the rep ranges along with the intensity. I'm wondering what you think about something like this:

Monday (heavy):
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

Wednesday (light):
    Squat 2x10
    Press 3x5
    Bench 3x10?
    Chins

Friday (medium):
    Squat 3x8
    Bench 3x8
    Deadlift 3x8

If you were able to keep the same 100/80/90 percentages from the classic HLM template it seems like the light and medium days would end up being too difficult to recover from... right?

If so, then given that you'd need to lower the percentages a bit on those days to manage recovery, would this be a decent "powerbuilding" template with a good mix of strength and hypertrophy stimulus?

I'm not an expert on the DUP stuff. Not saying it doesn't work I just haven't used it with clients so I don't have an opinion. However if you are taking the 2x10 and 3x8 squats to their limits then they are no longer "light" or "medium".

Classic HLM would use a traditional strength training rep range across the board (think 3-6 reps per set) and vary intensity and set count. So a starting point might be:

Monday: 5x5 @ 80%
    Weds: 3x5 @ 70% (or 5x3 Front Squat)
    Fri: 4x5 @ 75% (or 4x5 Box Squat or 10x2 DE Box Squat)

The front squat and paused box squat are "light" and "medium" relative to the back squat so you can train them "heavy" and they still fit the mold

Or something similar