starting strength gym

Thread: Short interruptions to HLM program

Default Short interruptions to HLM program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm going to be on the road for business next Wednesday and Thursday and then the following Sunday through Wednesday. I'm currently doing an HLM program on a MWF schedule. I'd be very surprised if I'll be able to find the time and facilities to get in good workouts while I'm on the road and I'm not sure how to handle the missed workouts. Missing the light workout next Wednesday won't be a big deal but I'm wondering about the heavy day the Monday after. Should I not worry about it and just do what I can and get back on schedule the Monday after that? I'm 55 so some detraining will happen due to lack of intensity for a few workouts. How big a deload should I expect after a week and a half or so?
    Thanks.

I would probably try to do the heavy workout on Thursday after you get back, then pick up on the regular schedule the following Monday. Maybe move the medium day (following the missed light day) to Saturday to minimize the days off between training.

Or if you're up to it, miss your light wednesday, put another heavy day on Saturday before your trip, then heavy day again on Thursday.

But I'm no expert, maybe ask in Andy's forum for a more reliable answer.
    Last edited by Tim K; 03-23-2017 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    How big a deload should I expect after a week and a half or so?
    Thanks.
    I've had to travel quite a bit for work so I've been in the same boat. I used to come back from these 5-10 day breaks with certain numbers in mind, and it never really worked out very well with that plan. Sometimes I wouldn't come close to the numbers I planned to hit, and sometimes I could actually take much more.

For anything under two weeks, I'd try to hit the numbers of my last session or at least 90% of it, and let my warmups guide me in my first day back in the gym. Most of the time, I can tell whether I'll hit my planned numbers on my third or fourth warm-up set. Sometimes I don't know and I have to work up to my planned number to find out.

If I end up not being able to hit what I'd planned on my return, I'll know with the first rep of my target work weight. I'll rack the bar, and do 80-90% on what I'd planned for that day based on how I'm feeling.

I'm usually back to normal my second or third workout back from traveling.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    I'm going to be on the road for business next Wednesday and Thursday and then the following Sunday through Wednesday. I'm currently doing an HLM program on a MWF schedule. I'd be very surprised if I'll be able to find the time and facilities to get in good workouts while I'm on the road and I'm not sure how to handle the missed workouts. Missing the light workout next Wednesday won't be a big deal but I'm wondering about the heavy day the Monday after. Should I not worry about it and just do what I can and get back on schedule the Monday after that? I'm 55 so some detraining will happen due to lack of intensity for a few workouts. How big a deload should I expect after a week and a half or so?
    Thanks.
    Week 1: Mon - H; Thu - L; Sat - H
    Week 2: Thu - M; Sat - L
    Week 3: MWF x HLM

Depending on what you do on L and M, maybe reverse Thu and Sat week 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7out View Post

For example I traveled this past Monday, then spent time with family Tue, so my MWF HLM has turned into Wed, Thu, Sat HLM. Next week back to MWF.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7out View Post

Simple, logical. I like it. Thanks.

I was going to do my scheduled heavy day yesterday (Monday) but I went mountain biking with my son, which used up a bunch of time and energy (a trade-off I'll gladly make any day of the week). I did get to the gym but just did easy squats (315 x 5 and 355 x 1) and 440 x 3 deadlifts, leaving out bench completely.

starting strength coach development program
    Check out Nick Delgadillo's log; he was doing HLM with gaps between sessions for various reasons.