starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steroid Usage on the Beginner Routine

Default Steroid Usage on the Beginner Routine

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Certain teenagers are bent on using anabolic steroids with SS. Since advice over side effects doesn't work well, I was wondering whether you think they'll even be effective. I don't see how steroids would be wise when you're already progressing in a linear manner.

Your advice is valued and would help many of those looking into steroids. I apologize if this question is unappropriate for this section.

It's perfectly appropriate, and I think you for the opportunity to answer this question on the record. Novices progress in a linear manner. Novices on this program are frequently accused of using steroids, most usually by people that are unfamiliar with the capacity for human adaptation when training, food, and rest are optimal in people who have previously not adapted to them. This adaptation can result in bodyweight and strength increases in novice trainees that are far in excess of what can be obtained by more advanced athletes using steroids. It is not uncommon for novices to gain 40 lbs. of bodyweight and 300 lbs. of squat strength on this program. Anyone who thinks that steroids can improve upon this is inexperienced with both this method and steroids. I have had quite a bit of experience with both.

Therefore when I tell you the following things, you can believe me:

1. Nothing works better for a novice than a linear progression on heavy squats and 1 gallon of whole milk per day. Nothing.

2. Novices who insist on using steroids are lazy bastards who want a shortcut where there is none. The fact that they want a shortcut means that they are not willing to do the work that is actually necessary EVEN IF YOU DO TAKE STEROIDS.

3. There are no shortcuts. The fact that a shortcut is important to you means that you are a pussy. Let me be clear here: if you'd rather take steroids than do your squats heavy and drink enough milk, then you are a Fucking Pussy. I have no time or patience for Fucking Pussies. Please tell everyone you know that I said this.

Would you be just as angry if someone took steroids with Madcow's intermediate/advanced 5x5?

I get mad when people take steroids instead of training hard, thus becoming Fucking Pussies. If the shoe fits...

I honestly think this is the best response on the subject I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It is not uncommon for novices to gain 40 lbs. of bodyweight and 300 lbs. of squat strength on this program.
    Wow, is that for a 1RM or sets of 5? I assume you're talking about the first 9-12 months on the program?

That is for a 5RM, in the first 9 months. If you'll just do the program.

Mark what does qualify as a begginer? I have done o-lifting seriously for 2 years and am in powerlifting now. Im gonna hit a 462 squat soon at about 198 lbs. Would I get a 300 lbs progress in my squat in 9 months? Id love to be doing 762 at 238 .
    If I dont qualify as a begginer, then what is the rate of progression you have seen on the intermediate program? Thanks!

You are not a beginner. But there is no way to quantify your rate of progress as an intermediate, except to say that it will be "slow". But it should also be "steady" for quite some time, so that good progress can be made over the next year.

starting strength coach development program
    If my program will be steady would the texas method take me there by the end of next year?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast