starting strength gym

Thread: More pulling exercises for sport specific puproses?

Default More pulling exercises for sport specific puproses?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I understand that sport specific training is counter-productive, and the SS novice program shouldn't be watered down with extra exercises. But should the choices of exercises be enlarged or changed if an important aspect of a sport uses pulling and very little pushing? Specifically, in wrestling, takedowns are won or lost by pulling a leg in while the guy is trying to not let it happen, or on top by pulling a guy's arm in who is trying to prevent it.

Conventional strength and conditioning among wrestlers is heavy on the conditioning part. Even when barbells are used there is a lot of dynamic work or insufficient rest to build a solid base of strength on the skinny kids, but the one conventional piece of wisdom that I am struggling with is the need for prioritizing pulling exercises. (For a clearer hypothetical, if training for tug-of-war, would a SS program still include BP?). We are already dealing with kids who are way over-committed (most about 10 sports practices per week in the "off season"), so we won't be under ideal conditions.

I would appreciate any thoughts about whether there is any need to prioritize pulling exercises (for example, adding bent-over rows at all, and adding chins earlier in a novice program) in wrestling (or hypothetically, tug of war).

For swimmers and grapplers I perform chins or pull ups first in the workout prior to squatting or superset with squats, even as a novice. You don't need the rows as a novice.

For young grapplers, just grapple. Don't use your weight room time to condition.

Your guys might do better with a Starr style set/rep scheme. 5x5 (ascending sets)

Quote Originally Posted by NeverGiveUp View Post
    I understand that sport specific training is counter-productive
    I think I understand what you're trying to say, but that's an overly broad statement. Someone competing on the rings will definitely approach strength training differently than a competitive cyclist.

Correct. I think it's more accurate to say that "trying to mimic your sport specific movements in the weightroom is counterproductive."

But tilting the focus of training towards your sport is useful while avoiding silly exercises ("swimming" with bands, punching with weight, "sprinter squats", etc)

It is correct that pushing is not a large part of wrestling, but the benefit of those lifts, specifically the press, is that is strengthens the shoulders, as these get injured pretty frequently.

As a wrestling coach who has just ran through the SS, I can tell you that the program, as written, works extremely well for the sport. In regards to "pulling in" the move, that is not the right way to finish any shot. You need to drive your legs into the person, not pull the leg. This is why a lot of kids get back and shoulder injuries.

Agreed. I don't train any wrestlers although I've done a lot of work with BJJ and Judo guys and chinning strength helps tremendously there, as well as swimming. We also Press and Bench, I just have them chin first. Once you Press/Bench and then do heavy deads, chin strength gets pretty wiped out.

Would adding chins in the beginning of the workout prior to the squat negatively impact the progress of press/bench or deadlifts? For an intermediate trainee doing the Upper/Lower split, would chins on Upper Day negatively affect the deadlifts on the Lower Day? Thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, a lot of heavy chins can bleed over into press/bench/or deads but something has to suffer in any organization of training (usually). It just depends on priority for each individual. Often we combine lat work with lower body day in the 4 day split