starting strength gym

Thread: Question re: George Hechter and Power Cleans

Default Question re: George Hechter and Power Cleans

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In the first edition of Starting Strength, you have this one passage:

As evidence that strength and power are related, George Hechter incorporated power cleans and clean high-pulls (the partial version of the clean, where the bar is shrugged hard but not racked on the shoulders) into his deadlift training, by warming up his deadlifts with the explosive movements up to about 60% of his max single deadlift, and then deadlifting on up to his work sets. His best deadlift of 825 lbs at a bodyweight of 242 is testimony to the effectiveness of this approach.

which I thought was mighty interesting. Where could I learn more about this particular regimen? Google doesn't turn up a whole lot about Hechter and I didn't see a source listed in the back of the book. Are there any old issues of, say, Powerlifting USA that would cover this?

Thanks for your time and thank you for making yourself available to answer all these questions.

I thought I covered it pretty well. You won't find it anywhere else, because he told me this. I suppose I'll have to function as your primary source.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I thought I covered it pretty well.
    Oh, yeah. Totally. I liked that section of your book a lot. It was very interesting. I was just curious about the particulars of Hechter's program. That's all.

You won't find it anywhere else, because he told me this.
    OK. It was something you learned in a personal conversation with him.

I suppose I'll have to function as your primary source.
    Cool! I couldn't ask for a better source. Just curious . . . did Hechter mention any specifics of that program? If not, no worries.

Again, thank you very much for helping me. I loved the book and look forward to reading Practical Programming and the others as well.

I did a little more web research today and learned that you had already answered my question in an interview you did over at Elite FTS:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/texasbbq-2.htm

so I won't bug you anymore.

Thanks again! Happy New Year!