starting strength gym

Thread: Squat question

Default Squat question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have been working on my squat for almost a year following the technique written in your books. I am tall with long legs so squats do not come easy for me. I have started to realize that when i reach parallel if i push my knees out i lose the stretch in my hamstrings. when i dont push the knees out and i kind of let my gut sink between my hip flexors i really feel the stretch, but then my knees are not pushed out into the proper position and i cant reach the proper depth. i also have issues with hip flexor pain especially when i wear squat shoes. I was wondering if you have any explanation for why this is? I really appreciate the help. thanks

All the above symptoms are explained by one thing: you are letting your knees drop forward at the bottom of the squat. This loosens the hamstrings when the knee angle becomes more acute, and stretches the hell out of the hip flexor (rectus femoris and sartorius) insertion at the ASIS. Look at the part of the squat chapter that deals with placing a block in front of your knees for more detail on this.