starting strength gym

Thread: One way trip to Gainsville!

Default One way trip to Gainsville!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello everyone,

I am a 19 year old novice trainee who is currently doing the Starting Strength program. I have been training since I was about 16 but have I have never been able to stick to a program consistently until now. I am one month into the program and I am enjoying setting PRs every single session.
    My stats:
    Height: 175cm
    Weight: 96kg
    The following are all based off of my last working sets:
    Squat: 122.5kg
    Deadlift: 135kg
    Bench: 87.5kg
    Press: 52.5kg
    Power Clean: 57.5kg

I look forward to speaking to other novice trainees out there, and also the more experienced trainees who will hopefully give me some advice and suggestions as I go along!

03 April 2017

Squats: 122.5kg 3x5 (3 sets of 5 reps)
    Press: 52.5kg 3x5
    Power cleans: 57.5kg 5x3

Squats felt really good, they are getting easier and easier every session and I don't see this stopping for a while!
    The press was a bit tougher, but no grinding reps so I am happy to continue with 2.5kg progressions for now. I will probably start microloading soon, but I will hopefully get to 65kg by then.
    Power cleans also felt really good, it is slowly becoming one of my favourite movements!
    Last edited by evianbetterthan; 04-03-2017 at 12:24 PM.

05 April 2017

Squats: 125kg 3x5

I've had some bad shoulder pain for a day or so, caused by a bad sleeping position on Monday night. The pain this morning was not as bad as yesterday, but during my squats the pain worsened quite a bit to the point where it was unbearable. I workout Sat-Mon-Wed so I figured it would be better not to aggravate it further with benching or deadlift and instead do those on Saturday when my shoulder feels better. Still gutted however, I was going to do 90kg on Bench and 140kg on Deadlift. These are my previous 1RM for the two lifts (tested around 2 or 3 years ago).

11 April 2017

Squats: 125kg 3x5
    Bench: 90kg 3x5
    Deadlift: 140kg 1x5

I was away on the weekend so I couldn't get into the gym until today. I was worried I wouldn't be able to complete all the reps as I continued on from where I left off after a week of no lifting, but everything felt good especially the bench and deadlifts. Still had some pain in my left shoulder but no where near as bad as my last training day, it didn't effect my performance at all.

Welcome. That's a good start. From time to time a little rest can be helpful. Do you have the books? Do you lift three times per week on a usual basis? If you live any where near a Starting Strength coach he/she can be very helpful. If not there is online coaching.

Hi carson. I do lift 3x a week usually yes, and so far I only have SSBBT 3rd edition. I live in London, UK and know of only one Starting Strength coach near me, but I'm not sure I'd want a coach yet. I don't have any plans to compete in powerlifting or anything for a while, so I don't know how whether getting a coach is recommended?

13 April 2017

Squat: 127.5kg 3x5, 7-8mins rest
    Press: 55kg 3x5, 7-8mins rest
    Power clean: 60kg 5x3, 5-6mins rest

Pretty good day of training overall, took about 2 hours to complete but I'm fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by evianbetterthan View Post
    Hi carson. I do lift 3x a week usually yes, and so far I only have SSBBT 3rd edition. I live in London, UK and know of only one Starting Strength coach near me, but I'm not sure I'd want a coach yet. I don't have any plans to compete in powerlifting or anything for a while, so I don't know how whether getting a coach is recommended?
    Getting a Starting Strength coach is advisable as the name Starting Strength suggests. He/she can help perfect ones technique early on so bad practices can be avoided.

Makes sense, I will probably post some footage to the Technique forum in a few weeks.

starting strength coach development program
    15 April 2017

Squat: 130kg 3x5

Shoulder pain was unbearable. Completed my warm up sets for bench but my shoulder was really hurting, especially after I unracked on my final warm up set so I just called it a day. I was very frustrated.

18 April 2017

Squat: 130kg 3x5
    Bench: 92.5kg 3x5
    Deadlift: 145kg 1x5

Shoulder felt a lot better today. I searched the forums all weekend for some advice regarding shoulder pain after squats and what I found seems to have helped. I carried a band with me the whole time so I could do shoulder dislocations between all my warmup and working sets. Hopefully my shoulder stays pain free for a good while.