starting strength gym

Thread: assessing a possible strength imbalance

Default assessing a possible strength imbalance

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mr. Rippetoe,

I'm a beginner (24, 5'10", 155 lbs.) and while I understand that a strength imbalance is fairly normal for a beginner, I've noticed that my dominant side (my right) is only getting the so-called "newbie gains" while my left is...well, not so much. It's to the point where I'm getting pain in my right wrist while doing overhead presses because my right hand is supporting nearly all of the weight. I've read of a few methods of dealing with an imbalance, from toughing it out and things evening out eventually, to switching to dumbbells for a while, to even seeing a chiropractor, and was wondering if it is in fact an imbalance, what would be the best way to deal with it and hopefully even things out?

Thanks.

How long have you been training?

I've been training for about 3 weeks.

If you continue to train like you are, the weak side will receive more work proportionate to its lower strength level, and it will catch up. It is seldom useful to use dumbbells for this, since it is HIGHLY unlikely that you will operate the dumbbells more symmetrically that you will the barbell, thus actually perpetuating the asymmetry. You're ding fine, just keep at it and focus on making the weak side do its share during each rep.