starting strength gym

Thread: Wanting to learn more and teach others

Default Wanting to learn more and teach others

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach Rippetoe and company,
    I thought I would write to share a bit of my story thus far as well as ask for advice. First I would like to thank you for putting out in depth information, and more free advice than anyone else on the subject of strength training. Through my teens and early twenties I was essentially strong by accident. I was in the military, enjoyed eating too much and lifting heavy weights. Upon leaving the Marines, a series of bad luck and bad decisions eventually left me at 320 lb and rather immobile. At this point I made the biggest mistake of my life and was talked into getting bariatric surgery. I lost weight at a frightening pace and a year later weighed just under 160 lb. I looked like a Holocaust survivor with leukemia. Worse than this I obviously lost a great deal of strength. I could do more chin ups at 300 lb than I could at 160. After a long while in physical therapy I stumbled back into the gym and began “exercising”. I got where I could run and do body-weight exercises, and was lucky enough to run into your book Starting Strength. I decided to commit to it, no matter how embarrassed I was to get under a barbell again. I have suffered, among other things, chronic knee pain for a few years now. My biggest surprise came a month in when I realized my knees didn’t hurt anymore. One month of squatting with the bar low on my back accomplished what two years of physical therapy could not. I followed the program to the letter, the most difficult part being nutrition. Consuming a gallon of milk on top of food with less than half a stomach can only be described as hell. But a few months later I had put on 25-30 good pounds and increased my squat from a 155 max to a 315 working set. This is by no means the strongest I have ever been, but it’s stronger than I ever thought I’d be again. I continue to set what I call post op PRs as I head into the third phase of your program. I just had to take a few weeks off due to pneumonia, but it didn’t seem to set me back too terribly and it gave me a chance to finish reading Practical Programming for Strength Training. I intend to let linear progression take me as far is it can, and to come to Wichita Falls as soon as possible and attend a seminar, my eventual goal to become a strength coach. I would especially like to work with other disabled veterans and perhaps keep them from making the mistakes I did. Is there any training or certification that you would consider more useful than others? If you consider certification useful at all. Right now I’m just reading anything I can get a hold of and trying to help a few others start the program. I currently work in law enforcement and have enjoyed helping others become stronger lately. Any advice on moving forward would be appreciated, and thanks for all the advice so far.

Thanks Rip.