starting strength gym
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Squire's Log

Default Good Squire's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, my name is David. I discovered Starting Strength back in 2012, however my strength gains have been nothing but an inconsistent mess because of deployments and general time away from the gym due to work. Since last year, I have managed to work up to a 360lb squat for 3x1 singles(stalled,) a 270lb bench for 3x1(stalled,) a 162.5lb press for 5x1 singles which is still going strong, along with my deadlift that is moving along quite nicely for 405lbs x2. I used Greyskull LP, then a combination of the Texas Method upper lower split combined with Karl Schudt's 5/1 method which I have been using for deadlift. My stats are Male, Age 24, 5'9 and 187lbs.

My plan now is to start over on all of my stalled lifts. Going to keep my press moving with the Texas Method still, along with my Deadlift using 5/1. My goal is to compete in my first USPA powerlifting meet by January and go for a 1200lb total, so what I plan on doing is running Wendler's Beyond 5/3/1 boring but big 28 week challenge first, with the slight modification of keeping my boring but big at 5x5@80% of training max for 12 weeks, instead of the 5x10 for the first 6 weeks then switching to 5x5. Here's yesterday's workout:

Friday, April 7th

Bench 5/3/1 170lbs x5, 190lbs x5, 217.5 x11
    -Easy, back loosened up towards the end because I kept hitting the uprights with the bar.

Press 137.5lbs 5x5

-These are always heavy. Will probably add weight to 140lbs next week and go for 8x3.

Barbell Curls 100lbs 1x6, 90lbs 2x10

LTES 3x10 85lbs
    Last edited by Good Squire; 04-08-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Saturday, April 8th

Squat 260lb 5x5
    -Form was incredibly dialed in. The weight is lighter than I've done in awhile because of the 80% from the training max, but I think I need this to get my squat moving again. Some excellent cues I realized worked for me last night was "TIGHT BACK" and "KNEES." This kept my knees stable and hip drive was smooth the whole way.

Deadlift 5/5/5 day
    280lbs x5
    322.5lbs x5
    365lbs x5
    - Could only get the required reps today. I felt sluggish on deads today and not sure why. Had a little problem with bar drift the entire workout. Need to always make sure to keep my lats tight and squeeze chest up.

Sunday, April 9th

Went on a hike today with a buddy of mine and his two dogs up to the Horno crosses memorial at Camp Pendleton. Served in 2/1 my first enlistment so I have fond memories of "the crosses" and the serenity and peace that overtakes me when I reach the top. My buddy served in 1/2 on Camp Lejeune, so these California hills are new to him. Good cardio and a meaningful day.

Monday, April 10th

Press intensity day, 162.5lbs 5x1 singles

1x1, was a ball buster, but form was solid.

2x1, same

3x1 FAIL!

-This now marks the last of what remnants are left of the Texas Method in my workouts. Time for a 90% training max and deload. Gonna switch press over to 5/3/1 now.

Bench 217.5lbs 5x5(85% training max)

-Easy. I started playing around with pause sets to make it more of a challenge and to prep myself for paused bench in January. Paused first three sets completely, and then played around with pausing first and last rep only. I like this, because I get pause work in and I don't put the brakes on strength gains too early by pausing everything. Gonna use this method for working sets on my 5/3/1 days as well. If I can pause my last rep, I would like to think I can pause it in competition.

Weighted chins 56.125lbs 3x6-8(8 reps for first two sets, only made 5 on last set)
    Last edited by Good Squire; 04-11-2017 at 02:42 AM.

Missed my 5/3/1 squat day on Tuesday due to travel. Out here in South Florida visiting family and was a little jet lagged yesterday. Made it to a gym out here so I'm just gonna throw my 5/3/1 squat and deadlift on the same day this week. Nothing's ever supposed to be easy but I have to stay consistent.

Bench 180lbs x 3, 205lbs x 3, 230lbs x 7, 242.5lbs x 3

-I started pausing my first and last rep, and it is definitely heavier! I always knew my chest was a weak point too, so hopefully throwing in these pause reps will prep me for January. Also decided to go for a joker set. I knew I had it in me and I recover fast on bench press. Ass flew up on the first rep of 242.5 .

Press 117.5lbs 5x5 @80%
    -Light. First day of using 5/3/1 for press. I'm not gonna worry about it.

Barbell curls 100lbs 1x6, 90lbs 2x10

LTEs 1x12 80lbs
    -This gym didn't have an 85 lb EZ curl bar, and the bench I was on was one of those weird bodybuilding bro benches with a slight decline just in the chest area. The only flat free bench was being used by some old dude with a towel and fingerless gloves with dumb bells. Got to love commercial gyms. I quit after my first set because the weird bench hurt my back. Not gonna stress about accessory work on vacation.

Sunday, April 16th

Squat 225x3, 260x3, 292.5x9
    - After about the 7th rep, the bar started to become crooked on my back on my left side. I need to make sure that the bar is stable on the shelf.

Deadlift 320lbs x5, 365lbs x3, 410lbs x1 PR!
    - Gym didn't have chalk! I forgot to pack chalk over here, so I wrapped paper towels around the bar which barely made do. Hey, I broke a PR with paper towels so I can't complain!

Missed my press and squat 5/3/1 days, so I ended up moving them over to the end of last week to attempt to fit them in, which I did. I also have started up a course for the next three weeks that requires me to do a ton of hard running and strenuous circuits in the mornings. Hopefully I can at least continue to get the required reps.

Friday, April 21st

Bench 192.5lbs x5, 217.5lbs x3, 242.5lbs x5, 257.5lbs x2
    FSL just this week 217.5lbs 6x5
    -Solid. Pausing the first and last rep is more difficult, however.

LTEs 80lbs 3x10
    -I never feel like I do these right. I may try dips again soon.

Ran 3 miles in 27:10 after eating a large breakfast burrito post-workout. I had to get food somehow during this course. Side was killing me the entire run.

Sunday, April 23rd

Squat 242.5lbs x5, 275lbs x3, 307.5lbs x2
    -Squats just felt abnormally heavy at that weight. I hit 307.5 for seven reps just three weeks ago. The run from yesterday was probably the issue.

Deadlift 282.5lbs x5, 320lbs x5, 370lbs x3. FAIL!
    -Well, I finally hit a wall with my current deadlift programming of 5/1. Time to switch to a more traditional 5/3/1 daily approach and lower the training max.

Tuesday, April 25th

Press 95lbs x5, 110lbs x5, 125lbs x8

-Easy, however, my whole body has been burnt out lately from the course I'm in for work. Been doing all kinds of hill sprints, fireman carries, buddy drags and ridiculous crab walking up hills. Anything to put pain into your body. Hasn't helped me in the gym haha.

Bench 222.5lbs 5x5

-Easy day! Pause first and last rep.

So I think I'm going to take out the majority of my assistance and BBB work until the end of this course on May 12th. As long as I can get my required reps, I need to be thankful of that. On Wednesday we had classes all day, so I took advantage of that rest, and then today we had a land navigation course that ended up covering over five miles of rugged terrain on Camp Pendleton, so legs were tired today. Gonna shift my 5/3/1 squat to Sunday because I needed a nap!

starting strength coach development program
    Saturday, April 29th

Press 117.5lbs 5x5

-Easy.

Bench 170lbs x5, 195lbs x5, 222.5lbs x9
    -Had 1-2 left in the tank, but called it quits. Decided not to do a joker set. This course has had me tired. Hopefully next week will be more consistent and I can start squatting again.

Barbell curls 100lbs 1x6, 90lbs 2x10

LTES 80lbs 3x12

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast