starting strength gym

Thread: General coaching and technical lifts question - best way/place to learn?

Default General coaching and technical lifts question - best way/place to learn?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This is a pretty broad question but I think it would help many people out.

If someone wants to learn a technical lift like the power clean but finds it difficult to do so using only the book, or just wants a decent coach to look over the form and correct it immediately, what's the best way to find such a trainer?

I'm definitely not averse to a Crossfit seminar, and that's one thing I'll do if you come my way. But other than that, is there a straightforward way to find coaches that will train someone in the fast lifts, for more or less recreational purposes (as in, to novices or intermediates not affiliated with a sport of any kind)?

I might not be looking hard enough, but it seems that since 90% of the fitness market is Nautilus commercial gyms, people that teach the basic weightlifting that's been done for years are pushed out of sight.

I've been a member at several gyms over my lifetime, and have never seen a trainer teach someone to do a regular deadlift, let alone a clean. I've also never seen bumper plates or an OL platform at any gym in my life; and I think I'm not alone here.

I live in a city of about 2 million and even then I'm not sure where to start looking. Do you have any general tips for people living in American/Canadian cities to find coaches?

Mark, you do a better job than 99% of the coaches in this world, IMO, but it's crazy how much of a rarity you are..I think we're emerging from the fitness dark ages now.

As usual I appreciate the kind words. You have articulated the basic problem with the fitness industry, the problem created by Arthur Jones in the 1970s, the one that enabled the industry to grow so much in the ensuing years.

Here's the deal: the fitness industry doesn't want you to train the lifts. They don't want you to deadlift, clean, snatch or do anything else noisy or hard. They don't want you to train AT ALL. They want you to sign up, pay, and go away. If you must come in, please do some curls and ride the treadmills, and then go away. This represents the best use of their time and money to make money off of you.

Finding a coach is tough, but get online and ask about USAW people in your city. Or post on www.goheavy.com in the Olympic weightlifting forum. Somebody will know.