Thread: Deadlift / Squat HLM Advice

Default Deadlift / Squat HLM Advice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Me: M / 39 / 6' 2" / 230

Current Work Set: S - 385x3 / D - 430x1 / OHP - 162x3

Updated log: Byrd House of Pain

Squat programming seems to be working; Have dropped from 5x3 to 3x5 then 3x3 and expect to move to doubles and heavy singles as weight gets up over 405. Light day is 80% Heavy for 5x2 or 5x3 and Medium is 90% Heavy for 5x3.

Been trying to find the right balance for the deadlift. I pull heavy on Mondays. Have already dropped from 5s to triples to just a single (but there may have been some other reasons I didn't get 2). On light day I do chins and rows and on medium day I swapped a few weeks ago to just deadlifting 5x3 at about 80% of heavy day. I was doing some SGDL, but felt I needed a little more volume at a little higher weight and I've been trying to perfect form, figured more practice would help.

Looking for some thoughts on structuring my week. My current thinking is to add some back-off sets after heavy pull (have done that last few weeks) and go back to SGDL (or maybe alternate with GM's) on medium day. I think between my shins and knees is where my DL struggles.

As for goals to be accomplished, I'm currently +90% certain I'm going to make a SS meet this fall and would like to pull over 500#.

What about Romanian Deathlifts on medium day? I always make great progress with 3x5 or 3x8 as volume to drive my deadlift up.

Why not keep that single deadlift and then do some back off sets of 5s at about 10-15% less than the single for a few sets.

On the medium day do some RDLs for some higher reps, say sets of 8 for a few sets.

Progress in whatever increments you can manage weekly (2-3% is a reasonable amount) and you can cycle the back off sets if you want. For example, go up in sets and down in reps over the cycle and do 3x5, 4x4, 5x3 etc. and similar cycling can be done with the top set deadlift, 1x3, 2x2, 3x1, and the RDLs, 2x8, 3x7, 4x6.
    Last edited by ad3000; 04-11-2017 at 03:51 PM.

Good point re: RDLs. I've done those previously and should probably go back to them.

I'm not tuned in enough to use RPE but would cycling that week to week (triples plus back off sets) continue to be about +5 lbs per week? Still been working on linear progression structure (early intermediate) vs working based off 1RM.

Eh should've made a new post, but I edited the previous one.