starting strength gym

Thread: Hamstrings and squatting

Default Hamstrings and squatting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip-

I was curious if you saw the last NSCA Journal article on the squat titled ?Optimizing Squat Technique? from December 2007. It was stated on page 12 in regards to hamstring activation on the squat ?Research suggests that the squat, regardless of technique variation, produces minimal activity in hamstring muscles.?

My initial thought (without going through the references given), is what kind of ?technique variations? were used in the studies? I unfortunately don't have easy access to the references so it will be some time before I can check them out.

Did you see this article and any thoughts on this statement?

This kind of shit is why I am no longer a member of the NSCA. It is literally impossible that this study was performed correctly, and a quick reading of the paper would reveal why, but since I am not a member -- and have not been since this time last year -- I do not have this volume of the Journal. If anybody involved with this "study" had ever personally done squats themselves using correct technique and as a result gotten sore hamstrings, this embarrassing paper would not have appeared in this poorly reviewed form. And if peer-review actually worked as it was supposed to, instead of merely functioning as peer-approval, it would have been sent back to the authors for revision. They probably used a Smith machine in the study. Seriously, I have read such things in their journals.

This type of thing has been a common feature of both of the NSCA's journals for quite some time now, ever since the Physical Therapists took over the organization. I commented on it specifically in an article for the CrossFit Journal entitled "Silly Bullshit", and that appears in my book Strong Enough? . I fully expect a revised position statement on the Full Squat any day now. Bad for the knees, you know.

This brings a related question to my mind, one I'm sure many of us are wondering about.

You seem to bristle a bit at the words "physical therapy." I understand the problems with the way it's done, for the most part, but there must be some pockets of sanity somewhere. Let's say, for example, someone you're training at your Wichita Falls club gets injured. Would you recommend someone in particular to them? If a lifter truly needs physical therapy, are there people out there who can give them the right prescription (as opposed to telling them to squat above parallel and stop doing deadlifts, or whatever their recommendations usually are)?

I know very little about powerlifting and weightlifting as competitive sports, but I imagine people involved in them must have a designated someone who can bring them back to health without ruining their athletic careers. So who are these people and where does one find them?

Without hesitation, I send them to Kelly Starrett, DPT, San Francisco CA. The plane ticket is cheap compared to ineffective therapy.