starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check. 115lbs trying to iron things out.

Default Squat form check. 115lbs trying to iron things out.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone, this is my first time posting anything in the forum because I just registered today. I'm still in the novice phase, hence the squat PR of just 180lbs, and noticed some issues in coming up out of the hole, as in too much forward lean and some other things. I'm also cutting the crap out of the skin in between my traps. When I started videoing myself, I saw just how ugly my squat is. Let me know what you think i can do, if anything, to improve my form.

Squat form check - YouTube

You have squat shoes but not a 2" olympic bar? Never seen that combo before.

I notice you are raising your elbows too high and rounding your upper back. This is probably why the bar is moving and chafing your skin.

But wait for a real coach to see your squat and tell you what to work on first. That's just what pops out when I look at them, and I'm just some guy on the internet.

A video from a45 degree angle, or even behind in this case would be helpful for checking stance width.

Currently you are trying to stay upright for too long, bend over earlier. Shove your knees OUT hard from the very beginning to get them set early. Set your back tight and keep it tight, "proud chest" or "chest up" are helpful cues for this.
    Last edited by Ben Patterson; 04-14-2017 at 08:00 PM.

Yeah, the combo is pretty backward, but the plates and bar were free, and Rip says to just "buy the damned shoes", so I did.
    I suspected that my upper back was probably rounding too much, but then again, that's my everyday posture, so I suspect fixing it in the squat is going to take a bit of time. And maybe a chest big enough to stick out, lol. The elbows I can fix right away.

Thanks for the tips. I didn't even think about the fact that I might be trying to stay upright too long. I do realize that my upper back is a problem. Mainly it seems that I can keep things tight until I get to the bottom, and then I lose it. I will post another video that I have that was taken in front of me, but it starts at my shins, so you won't see my feet. You will be able to see the general width of my stance though, that and me struggling to squat 180lbs, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudestmonkeyt View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I didn't even think about the fact that I might be trying to stay upright too long. I do realize that my upper back is a problem. Mainly it seems that I can keep things tight until I get to the bottom, and then I lose it. I will post another video that I have that was taken in front of me, but it starts at my shins, so you won't see my feet. You will be able to see the general width of my stance though, that and me struggling to squat 180lbs, lol.
    Video from a 3/4 angle from the back is best, and from about waist height. That allows a person to see the most useful information. You are definitely getting loose at the bottom, and extending your back way too much at the start of the first rep, at least. You're rounding your whole back as you go down, instead of bending at the hips and keeping spine straight and torso tight. I can't tell where you are looking, but pick a point maybe 6 feet in front of you and keep your eyes fixed on it through the entire set. Sit back farther as well.

Default Squat form check. 115lbs trying to iron things out.

Wider stance with knees pushed out for the duration of whole lift. This will give your torso more room to go down. You round at the bottom so you need more room down there. Don't be afraid to point nipples towards the ground a little bit more if you keep back and core rigid. In other words you could have a more horizontal back angle than you do now if you widen stance. Biiig belly breath and hold before dropping down. Don't release until you get to the top
    Last edited by andrew9977; 04-15-2017 at 11:23 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you Fiddler and Andrew, I will definitely try those tips out. They've been especially helpful because I didn't think my stance was too narrow, and I didn't realize that I wasn't getting my ass out enough. It always feels that I'm bending over far enough, but I guess how things feel and what's actually happening are two different things.