starting strength gym

Thread: Regarding SS & CF

Default Regarding SS & CF

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In a previous thread you stated that for those not strong enough to effectively do the WODs "it makes sense to focus on SS for a while to get better."

You went on to say that one could begin with straight SS programming and then incorporate metcons into the week and that at most one might tolerate 2 metcons and 3 ss workouts.

My question would be: Would you modify any of the SS programming with regard to sets or reps. Secondly would you change any of the lifts?

One last question: If I wanted a more SS focus but not necessarily a 3 to 2 ratio (SS v. CF), but more a 2 to 3 ratio (SS v. CF), would you then change anything with respect to lifts, sets, reps?

The reason I ask is I was thinking of experimenting ala the blackbox method to see what comes out. I've dropped alot of weight from the Zone diet which has seen my metcon levels rise, but my CF Total score as dropped some. Not a ton, but enough to warrant concern.

To be specific I was considering the following weekly template: SS, CF, Rest & SS, CF, CF, Rest

Thanks for any replies,
    David Stout
    CrossFit Chattanooga

The SS model works best the way it is stated. I have no experience with any modifications that work as well as it does unmodified for strength and bodyweight gain. But have at it and see what happens.

Like Rip says, if you do CF, your gains on SS won't be as accelerated, and vice/versa. But they do co-exist if you don't mind settling for potentially slower gains in both areas.

IMO, I would either do:

CF-SS-CF-REST (difers to CF, cycled every 4 days)

or

SS-CF-SS-REST-CF-SS-REST (difers to SS, weekly cycle)

Obviously this assumes you have a high enough work capacity to tolerate the high workload. If you don't, sub in REST for CF, or scale down the CF workouts. If you don't know what your work capacity is, or you know your work capacity is low, definatley start with the strict SS template and slowly add in CF days as Rip described in another thread.

CF days would need to be hand picked/tailored to not conflict with the SS workouts. For example, Helen and Cindy don't clash with SS like Fran or Lynne do. Alternatively you could do Tabatas or HIIT.

Sorry for sticking my nose in, but I'm experimenting with something similar myself, relying on my high work capacity for longevity.

my 2 cents.