starting strength gym

Thread: Hang power clean critique

Default Hang power clean critique

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coach Rippetoe -

First, thanks for Starting Strength, Practical Programming, and BBT - they've been invaluable resources of no-nonsense training information for me and many others. And thanks for taking the time to answer our questions here.

I've been working towards learning the Olympic lifts for a while now, I work with a coach occassionally (a former student of Dr. Kilgore's), but he's out of town at the moment and I wondered if you could critque some hang power cleans I recently did. Still trying to get the top of the movement right before I move down to the floor and eventually to squat cleans. This vid includes some warmup sets and 3 working sets at of 135 x 3 (sorry for the lousy gym music).

[youtube]DRg7XHjjvL0[/youtube]

These look fine to me, good rack position and movement. The only thing I'd say is that your shoulders would be better forward of the bar a little. You'll get more out of your hip extension in this position. Tell Dr. Kilgore's former student he did a good job.

And don't anybody send me anymore videos unless Chicago's first album is playing in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    These look fine to me, good rack position and movement. The only thing I'd say is that your shoulders would be better forward of the bar a little. You'll get more out of your hip extension in this position. Tell Dr. Kilgore's former student he did a good job.
    Thanks, and I'll tell him. His name is Peter Blumert and I think you may have met him as well (he remembers you, anyway).

And don't anybody send me anymore videos unless Chicago's first album is playing in the background.
    Consider it done. I'll add a custom soundtrack to any future videos. The garbage they play at my gym is why my iPod is as essential as chalk.