starting strength gym

Thread: Squat technique check

Default Squat technique check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi guys,

First post, so short intro:
    25 y/o male (dutch), 178cm, 83kg'ish. Been known with SS for a while now, going for 2 months right now and these are my stats:
    115 kg squat
    125 kg deadlift
    52,5 kg OHP
    72.5 kg BP
    72.5 kg Row

No problems so far, but as the weight is getting more serious now, I'm curious about your opinion on my technique. So far only got my squat recorded for 1 set. I hope I got a proper view-angle.
    Yes I squat barefoot. So far I like it, squat shoes might be an option. Comments/rants on this are still welcome

Thanks for your opinion/comments/critique!

Last edited by J-N; 04-20-2017 at 01:34 PM.

The big thing: Keep your chin tucked and drive your HIPS straight up (you are currently coming out of your hips and leading with your chest on the ascent). Set the camera on a bench or something, these wobbly videos are hard to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDave View Post
    The big thing: Keep your chin tucked and drive your HIPS straight up (you are currently coming out of your hips and leading with your chest on the ascent). Set the camera on a bench or something, these wobbly videos are hard to look at.
    Thanks for your reply and feedback AtlantaDave.

Chin: looking down a bit more? Or do you mean keeping my head/neck in the same position through the whole movement?

Sorry, I don't really got the "hips straigh up" pictured in my head, can you elaborate?

First piece of advice is to get a pair of weightlifting shoes they will make a big difference. You are relaxing at the bottom of the squat... you can tell when you see the knees sliding forward. It's hard to tell from this angle but the bar seems to be too high. I would also say you need to stay in your hips longer and not try to lead with the chest out of the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Annino View Post
    First piece of advice is to get a pair of weightlifting shoes they will make a big difference. You are relaxing at the bottom of the squat... you can tell when you see the knees sliding forward. It's hard to tell from this angle but the bar seems to be too high. I would also say you need to stay in your hips longer and not try to lead with the chest out of the bottom.
    How do I fix the relaxing at the bottom? Keep my core more tight or just get into the ascent faster?

Focus on hip drive would be a good thing to get into then regarding the hips/chest?

Quote Originally Posted by J-N View Post
    How do I fix the relaxing at the bottom? Keep my core more tight or just get into the ascent faster?

Focus on hip drive would be a good thing to get into then regarding the hips/chest?
    You need to actively focus on staying tight even when you feel that stretch at the bottom. There is an overwhelming tendency to want to relax everything in the bottom. If i were you, I would try using the "terribly useful block of wood" (How to use the TUBOW with Jayson Ball and Noah Millstein | On the Platform - YouTube) had the same problem, and this Helped me out a ton.
    Last edited by Cody Annino; 04-21-2017 at 06:26 AM.

Hips straight up/hip drive: There are articles and videos on this site that will explain it in more detail than I care to go into here. But the easy visual is picture a chain attached on one end to your hips and the other to the ceiling, in a straight vertical line. When you come out of the bottom of the squat, visualize that chain pulling your hips/tailbone straight up to the ceiling. While this is happening, do not try to lift your chest, instead keep your back tight (you got your back tight before the decent, right?) and merely maintain your back angle for the first 1/3-1/2 of the ascent.

Chin: Yes to both questions.

Agree with Cody re lifting shoes.

Thanks for your reply and feedback AtlantaDave.

Chin: looking down a bit more? Or do you mean keeping my head/neck in the same position through the whole movement?

Sorry, I don't really got the "hips straigh up" pictured in my head, can you elaborate?

OP, try not to wear a dark shirt in your next video so we can try to see your bar placement.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Annino View Post

Will record more this/next week.

Overall, is my squat technique any good or would you say it's better to deload and relearn?

starting strength coach development program
    Depends. Record your warmups with the new technique. Watch each video between sets. If everything looks OK and moves OK, keep going up in weight. If you are having issues due to learning new technique, deload (probably about 10-20 kgs); as you get the technique you can make 5 kgs jumps per squat session until you catch back up to where you are now, or slow to 2.5kgs jumps if the video says you are jumping too fast. It's hard to say without seeing each set/warmups.

Overall, is my squat technique any good or would you say it's better to deload and relearn?