starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check (Deadlift to Squat discrepancy?)

Default Deadlift Form Check (Deadlift to Squat discrepancy?)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been having my squat looked at by Tom and Steve thus far in the Coaches Q and A, they've been pretty amazing in helping it get back on track on the SS model. It's more fluid (thanks Tom!) and more hips (thanks Steve!). I'm currently at 315x3x5 now for squats.

But now this brings to my attention that my deadlifts either are poorly executed, or my squats are really good. Or I have unfortunate anthropometry and will just have to deal with it. Probably a combination of these. My deadlifts were last done at 325 for a set of five.

My session on Wednesday consisted of 5 singles at 335 to acclimate myself to using a 'real' belt, which I FINALLY received from Best Belts as opposed to my cheap cloth belt from Valeo (worth it 100%), for the first time, which now looking back doesn't seem like the smartest decision I've made. I should of deloaded and just did a set of fahve.

Regardless, I'm hoping you guys can pick apart my deadlift form, in general, to see if I'm even setting up appropriately in the first place. I've poured over the literature on the 5 steps and have watched the 'On the Platform' video where the steps are discussed, as well as Austin Baraki's video with Alan Thrall on common deadlift set-up mistakes.

Current body info that may be relevant:
    Age 26
    ~150 lbs, 5'7
    Long forearms (Can't sit bar on front deltoids for OHP, gotta float), short/wide/fat hands (6.75 in from base to tip of middle finger), small joints (6 inch wrist). Typical Asian ectomorph build, but I'm not sure if this is even an issue because I can hook grip without issue, granted I have to really dig in the grip.

Added the squat video as well, in case there's an interest in checking that form.
    Deadlift: 335x1 - YouTube
    Squat: 315x5 - YouTube
    Last edited by Jon9101; 04-20-2017 at 05:53 PM.

DL: You dropped your hips at step 4; instead, leave your hips higher up, and rotate your chest up through your shoulders to set your back. Give us a set of 5, singles are not great for form checks.

Squat: Set your knees by about 1/2 way down, you are letting your knees travel forward too far and to late into the descent. On the ascent, stay in your hips longer; you start lifting with your chest when you should be staying in your hips.