starting strength gym

Thread: sit ups on starting strength program

Default sit ups on starting strength program

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Mark, im new to this forum and this is my first post. Im following your starting strength program which was recommended to me on various sites. My question concerns the type of abdominal assistance exercise advised on the program. It says to use the sit up on an incline board of 45 degrees. Is this exercise potentially damaging to the back and is it the best exercise to activate the abdominal muscles. I have no problem performing it, just want to know if its the best abs exercise or if there are other ones that can be used. I find the program excellent by the way and like the way the info is given in a clear manner with no bs. Big fan of your stuff

I don't remember advocating a specific sit-up method, so you must have gotten this somewhere else, and you have therefore not read the book. Sit-ups on a board are no more damaging to the back than 400 lb. squats and 500 lb. deadlifts. In other words, if you can do them, you are strong enough to do them without Damaging Your Back. There is nothing wrong with using hip flexors in a sit-up, unless for some reason you have chosen to omit strengthening your hip flexors.

thanks for replying Mark. sorry for my late response but i am having problems with my pc. your program has been recommended on various sites using this page as a template.

http://www.startingstrength.net/workouts/

i got the situp info here.

what is the average expected strength and weight increase expected for someone in their thirties?

There is no average response for age. In general, young people respond better than older people, but beyond that it is a matter of genetics, diligence, and skill.