starting strength gym

Thread: Warm up question

Default Warm up question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    First off thank you for your work! I am 36 6'2" 212 pounds and stronger now than I have ever been in my life and truly excited to be lifting weights properly and with a plan. My goal is to be strong enough to do CF as RXed, I have been doing SS since Dec. 7th adding weight each workout. I have a few questions:

1/8

squat
    45 5x2
    90 5x1
    130 3x1
    170 1x2
    210 5x3

Press
    45 5x2
    60 5x1
    70 3x1
    90 2x1
    105 5x3

1/11

squat
    45 5x2
    95 5x1
    135 3x1
    175 1x2
    215 5x3

bench
    45 5x2
    85 5x1
    125 3x1
    1651x2
    200 5x3

Dead Lift

45 5x2
    100 5x1
    155 3x1
    2102x1
    265 5x3

1) Does this look like a reasonable warm up schedule?
    2) I seem to be pretty unbalanced , bench seems too close to squat, push on and it will take care of itself? Or am I missing something?
    I will add the power clean on my next workout and see where the first sticking point comes.
    3)I am sort of half doing the milk, due to my "aged" status as per your CF article, I am certainly a novice lifter, would you recommend seeing how much I can get away with drinking before "pudgy" sets in, I 'm already pissed to hear my golden years of strength development are in the past and would like to get as close to my potential as I can. !am about 14 % BF

Again thank you!

The warmups are fine. But you neglected to tell me your height and bodyweight, and did tell me your bodyfat %. It has been my experience that men who do this are usually undereating. Just an observation. Stop being concerned about your bodyfat; it is much easier to take off than muscle is to put on, especially for a Golden Years guy, like me.

I am 6'2" 212 And yes you are probably right about under eating although I am trying to eat as much as I can, finishing my wifes food snacking whenever I feel like it etc. I have abandoned the zone, and by no means do I feel pudgy. I am 10 pounds heavier at least since starting in early December, but I also started taking creatine...so i will get the lactaid and try the real 1 gal milk deal and eat eat eat. I have had linear gains for a month, but have seen the bar speed slow of late, really digging on feeling strong, and don't want it top top or even slow. Thanks again!

Well I am 225 now, MILK! started at 203 on DEC 9th. Just got a form check from Eva T and really dialed the PC's in. I had noticed bar speed slowing and was fearing a stall, on the slow lifts. I now realize that my slow addition of the power cleans to the program is probably the culprit in bar speed. She corrected my starting position for Dead lifts as well, and checked my hip drive and position for squats. In both lifts I was keeping my hips too low ie. torso too upright.
    I am a little under the weather and my last workout was a struggle, so I am going to reset a few workouts back, incorporate Eva's coaching and make sure my form, eating and sleep are spot on. I also need to check and make sure my new VS lifting shoes aren't hurting my knees, I have a shorter leg by about a quarter inch so I may have to deal with that to. This really isn't a question (clearly) but more of an update, but of course your input is always appreciated!

On your DL warm ups, how do you set the bar to correct height before the 45lb plates are on?

Chris

We use 10 kg bumper plates if necessary for people who cannot start with 135.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We use 10 kg bumper plates if necessary for people who cannot start with 135.
    Coach,

After squatting and pressing, by the time i get to the DL in my training session i feel pretty warm and can comfortably pull 135 for 5 at my first set. Should this be my starting point then just add weight from there? How many total sets should i be looking at including my final 1x5 work-set?

Thanks again
    Chris

That's what pretty much everybody does, and it's fine unless your work set is 155.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That's what pretty much everybody does, and it's fine unless your work set is 155.
    Glad to hear that.
    Actually, my work-set WAS 155 last training session but it easily jumped 20lbs the next time and I should have pulled again after a rest period.

Thank you
    Chris