starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dejackson's Strength Log

Default Dejackson's Strength Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey guys,

I've posted a few form checks in the past couple weeks, but today I decided to keep an up to date training log here on the forums. I'm going to log all my previous workouts. Please keep in mind that I switched from the dark side (SL5x5) roughly 1 month ago. So my first 2 months doing Strength Training are not shown here. If people want to see that stuff I can post that at a later date.

SS Back Log

3.29.2017 : Squats 220x5x3 : OHP 115x5x3 : Deadlift 270x5

3.31.2017 : Squats 225x5x3 : BP 155x5x3 : Deadlift 275x5

4.3.2017 : Squats 230x5x3 : OHP 120x5x3 : Deadlift 280x5

4.5.2017 : Squats 235x5x3 : BP 160x5x3 : Deadlift 285x5

4.7.2017 : Squats 240x5x3 : OHP 125x5x3 : Power Cleans 95x3x5

4.10.2017 : Squats 245x5x3 : BP 165x5x3 : Deadlift 285x5 : (Put the wrong weight on the bar like a dumbass)

4.12.2017 : Squats 250x5x3 : OHP 130x5x3 : Power Cleans 100x3x5

4.14.2017 : Squats 255x5x3 : BP 170x5x3 : Deadlift 295x5 (Made a 10lb jump to get back on track with DL progression)

4.17.2017 : Squats 260 5x5x4 (Missed last rep) : OHP 135 5x5x3 (Missed 14th rep) : Deadlift 300x5 (Delayed Power Cleans so it would sync with the SS app)

4.19.2017 : Squats 260x5x3 : BP 175x5x3 : Power Cleans 105x3x5

4.21.2017 : Squats 265x5x3 : OHP 135x5x3 : Deadlift 305x5

4.24.2017 : Squats 270x5x3 : BP 180x5x3 : Power Cleans 110x3x5

TODAY 4.26.2107 : Squats 275x5x3 : OHP 137.5 5x5x4 (Missed Last Rep) : Deadlift 310x5
    Today's Squats and Deadlifts : Squats and Deadlifts 4.26.17 - YouTube

Programming:

This workout was definitely my most grindiest workout to date. Squats were heavy, OHP was missed, Deadlifts were heavier than usual as well. For reference I am a M/25/5'11"/193#/18%BF eating 4k-5k calories per day. About 1,200cal per day coming from Whole Milk. Weight up 14 pounds since February.

My thoughts for each lift:

Squat: Just keep going

Bench: Keep going

Deadlift/PCs/Chin-Ups?: Should I start to implement chin-ups? I don't see a stall on the horizon in the DLs but for recovery's sake should I only deadlift once per week?

OHP: ???? Every rep is a "Herculean Effort." I've heard numerous people on the forums saying don't deload but instead taper back on lifts that are stalled; basically go straight into advanced novice. I could probably get 137.5 for all reps on Monday. Should I just keep going with this or should I taper back to 3x3.

That's all for now. If you look more at my Youtube videos, they are all just SS workouts of Squats and Deads. I try to upload every workout so if you want to keep tabs that way they'll be there. I'll probably link the videos to future log entries just for convenience.

Any input, advice, encouragement, comments are appreciated. I'm just trying to get stronger man, tired of being a weak little bitch.

--Dejackson
    Last edited by Dejackson; 04-26-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Welcome to the forums Dejackson, we are about the same place with our squats and deads.

About your press, you really need to reset and then use microplates (1 lb - 2.5 lb). Your typical press progression may be 115 -> 117.5 - >120 ->122.5 ->125 ->127.5 etc. I was running into a brick wall with the press, each rep was Herculean, but it wasn't until I went to micro loading that I got steady progress up to and beyond my sticking point. I put up 152.5 yesterday this way, and if I hadn't hurt my shoulder outside of the gym, was feeling strong enough to get all the sets.

I introduced chin-ups very early because I like them and I wanted a stronger shoulder (I have some old injuries). The typical SS plan prescribes deads/cleans and then deads/chins/cleans/chins/deads etc. in the advanced novice program. I personally enjoy deadlifting every week, but I have had a much better time recovering by following the advanced novice template.

Good luck and great gains!

Thanks for the welcome CDG, glad to be here. How much would you say I should reset on the OHP? 10%?

Are you saying to keep on with deads/cleans for now? Then when Squat gets to advanced novice start implementing the chins? Deadlifts are my favorite exercise and I wouldn't consider a 310 DL Advanced Novice level yet.

Thanks again!!

Friday: April 28, 2017

Body Weight: 196.5

>Squats: 280x5x3: Squats 280x5x3 4.28.17 - YouTube
    These felt good and moved quicker than 275. The first set was bit off; I blame a lack of focus or trying to rush into the first set and not giving myself enough time from the warm-up sets. I was definitely feeling big today. Despite what the scale said, I find it hard to believe I had a 3lb jump in BW overnight, regardless, I did gain some weight recently. I had to use a belt notch wider on the squats today.

>Bench: 185x5x3
    Similar to squats, the weight just flew.

>Power Cleans: 115x3x5
    These felt good. Starting to get to a point where I really need to focus on the explosion, a couple reps could have been much smoother.

Overall: Great workout. After feeling mentally beat down the last few, I got some good rest, ate some juicy Buffalo Wings last night, and ended the week strong.
    Last edited by Dejackson; 04-28-2017 at 07:28 AM.

Sudden jumps in BW are typically from water retention; usually from an increase in sodium intake. Good bar speed on the squats. Hard to tell from your video, but is the bar resting on your rear delts?

Hey Aaron, thanks, the weight felt light today in comparison to my last couple workouts. The bar is resting on my rear delts. The angle is a bit weird. It might be easier to see on my 4.26.17 video in getting set-up for squats. I'm also working on trying to stand taller at the top position and bringing the elbows down. All that would make bar position easier to see.

5/1/2017

Bodyweight: 196.9

Squat: 285x5x3 : Squat 285x5 Final Set 5.1.17 - YouTube
    Press: 137.5x5x3
    Deadlift: 315x5

Comments:

Good workout. Squats felt explosive. After missing OHP at 137.5 last Wednesday, I was able to hit those. Deadlifts felt ok. I could tell I need to get tighter in the set-up, went to check form after the fact and realized I didn't record the set. So unfortunately I do not have video of my 3 wheel deadlift.

5/3/2017

Bodyweight: 195.5 @ 19.5 BF%

Squat: 290x5x3 : Squats 290x5x3 5.3.17 - YouTube
    Bench: 190x5x3
    Power Cleans: 120x3x5 : Power Cleans 120x3 5.3.17 - YouTube

Comments:

Didn't feel as strong today as the last 2 workouts but was able to get it done. I get up at 4:15am to have time to do these workouts, and this morning the coffee just wasn't sitting right during my warm-up sets of Squats. Normally don't eat anything but I've started carrying a banana with me so I ate that and things evened out.

Squats were ok; hard but not impossible. Bench was concerning, I was grinding for reps. I will probably switch to 2.5lb jumps next week to keep the LP rolling. Power Cleans could be quicker/snappier. Still trying to nail down this movement.

This weekend is going to be interesting. I'm driving about 8 hours after work tomorrow night to a wedding in Charleston, SC (Live in the DC area). So sleep Thursday will be minimal. Friday is the wedding and I will probably have to drive a couple more hours in the morning to finish the trip depending on how I feel on the road. So that's gonna be a long ass day. However, I do plan on working out Saturday with one of my best friends from college. Depending on how I feel I might just take it light on all my lifts or maybe the different environment and energy will be high that I just say fuck it to all the excuses and get after it. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Dejackson View Post
    Thanks for the welcome CDG, glad to be here. How much would you say I should reset on the OHP? 10%?

Are you saying to keep on with deads/cleans for now? Then when Squat gets to advanced novice start implementing the chins? Deadlifts are my favorite exercise and I wouldn't consider a 310 DL Advanced Novice level yet.

Thanks again!!
    There's no need to shoot for specific numbers, only change the program (including a 10% reset) if you feel you need it.

I enjoyed doing chin-ups, and they keep my beat up shoulders nice and healthy. Recovery became an early issue for me because of that, so I opted for the advanced novice template early on. If I could do it again, I would have deadlifted every session in the beginning, like you are now, instead of switching to an every other setup. If diet/form/sleep is good, but you start missing reps, or are getting really run down, THEN you know its time for a change. The LP works as long as it works, and that number is different for every person. Rip wrote some guy's LP in SS that took him clear to 400 for the squat, with proportional numbers in the other lifts. Who knows what you can do until you try.

Good work, keep it up!

starting strength coach development program
    5/6/2017

Bodyweight: Unknown ~197ish

Squat: 295 5x5x4 : Second Set: Squat 295x5 Set 2 of 3 5.6.17 - YouTube
    Press: 140x5x3
    Deadlift: 320x5 345x1 355x1 PR 365x1 PR 385x1 PR 405x1 PR : Deadlift 405x1 5.6.17 - YouTube

Comments:

Squats: Did not feel great Saturday. Got new Adipowers on Thursday so I was pumped up to smoke some squats and was dissappointed in how I performed. The drive through the night Thursday and then the wedding Friday night I'm sure did not help. Blah blah blah excuses excuses, but I missed the last rep of the last set. Form was pitching forward a bit and depth was too low. All signs I'm just not used to the increased heel of the Adipowers.

OHP: These flew surprisingly easy. Glad to see these hit

Deadlifts: I know I know. I hit my 320x5 and then "should have" called it a day. However, my good friend who I never see was pulling heavy deads and I wanted to join the fun. We worked up to a personal goal of mine to hit by the end of the year. So all this traveling and bullshit was well worth it to hit the 4-plate milestone. I know the form is not perfect but I'm happy. That day I didn't quite understand the toll this would take on my body. The last time I ever did max singles were in 2014. Today I'm still sore haha. My upperback, hamstrings, and lower back in particular are all very tight. But it was worth it for this big time PR. The road to 500 begins now!

Programming:

Following this aftermath of traveling and maxing out the deadlift, I am only changing the squat this week. For squats tonight I'm going to take it easy and hit a few sets of 225. If Saturday was any indication, I need more practice with the new shoes. I then plan to hit about 80% of 295 on Wednesday for 2x5 and this will be the start of my Advanced Novice programming for squats. Friday I will hit 295x5x3 and be back on track.

Bench and Power cleans this evening will be as programmed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast