starting strength gym

Thread: 440's and dips

Smile 440's and dips

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark, I just bought SS, in the process of reading now. I've been crossfiting for about 3 months and it seems I could use a little more strength in some areas. I've enjoyed your writings and videos immensely. Just read Silly BS - excellent.

I have a couple of questions. I saw you care for subs a whole lot, but I have an old shoulder injury that doesn't like bench press. I've been really rehabing since CF, doing TGU's and static ring supports. I'm up to 100lb on the TGU. My ability to bench has made great strides, but I was wondering if weighted dips would be out of the question.

Also how about doing 2 days a week of some 400M and shorter sprinting?

Also I've been working hard to get my chin #'s up. Can I add some weighted chins to the Rx? Or should I wait till I complete the program?

Thanks for everything you do for the strength community!

Weighted dips are always a good sub for benches, as detailed in SS:BBT. A 100lb TGU is pretty damn strong. At least your Core is very Stable.

Sprints are also good for most programs, unless you are va novice doing a linear progression.

If you are doing more than 10 chins, weighted chins are good. If less than 10, just keep trying to add reps.

Thanks Mark, I'll get to work. I did see on one post a 'SR' lifter asking about the milk consumption. I was planning on adhereing to the 1 gallon per day, but you said something about that being more for younger novice lifters. I'm 33 so where does that put me. I know that's not 'SR' but I'm hardly 18 either.

I do have access to raw milk for $4 a gallon. Is raw better?

Thanks again!

Most states don't allow the sale of raw milk, Texas being one of those, so I have no experience with it. If you're in a weight-gain situation, drinking milk applies to you no matter how old you are, as long as you can handle the lactose.

Thanks for your replies Mark.
    I'm about half way through the book and am starting the workout monday. As far as reps for weighted dips? I was going to follow the 3 x 5 and same protocol for adding weight - correct?
    Also I have 15 chins/pullups so for the weighted, will I go also 3x5 adding weight each workout?
    I'll try to post my gains as I go.

starting strength coach development program
    That will work fine.