starting strength gym

Thread: Squat 260 x 5 x 3 Form Fix

Default Squat 260 x 5 x 3 Form Fix

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Bio
    Sex: Male
    BW: 222lbs @ 23.3% BF inferred from a four point skinfold measurement.

Lifts:
    Squat 260 x 5 x3
    Deadlift 340 x 5
    Bench 150 x 5 x 3
    Press 95 x 5 x 3
    Power Clean 130 x 3 x 5

Diet: 3500-3600 cal/day
    Protein 230-250 g/day
    Carbs 300-400 g/day
    Fat 100-145 g/day

Sleep: 7.5-9 hours, low - moderate quality, awakening 2-5 times per night.

Stress Levels: Moderate. Moving across country in a month. I've been unemployed for two years, right out of college, with no immediate prospects in sight. Significant other has been borderline suicidal for the past year. Progressing on my lifts gives me 2 hours of succeeding at something hard, and its enough to motivate me through my week.

Videos:

These were PR sets taken yesterday.

Obviously I'm having a bar path problem. I'm unsure of what is causing it/how to fix it.

Set 1 (Behind): Squat 260 x 5 (1 of 3) - YouTube
    Set 2 (Front): Squat 260 x 5 (2 of 3) - YouTube
    Set 3 (Side): Squat 260 x 5 (3 of 3) - YouTube

Additional Comments:
    This is the first time I've noticed real instability problems during my squat.
    Weight started feeling more challenging at 250lbs. 255lbs was 'Jesus christ my head is about to explode'. 260 felt more like 250, but developed serious bar path problems.

Both knees have a dull soreness that becomes more pronounced when sitting for long periods and when standing up. This started at 250lbs.
    Last edited by JustAnotherLifter; 04-29-2017 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Formatting

Slow down your decent, you're collapsing pretty much. Break at your knees and hips simultaneously, establish chest over position in the first 1/3 of the decent, go down slower with more control, staying tight in your abs and lower back. Focus on keeping the bar balanced over the middle of your feet. Bounce and continue driving your hips up all the way, you have a bad habit of lifting your chest, which is killing your power and probably making your knees hurt.
    Last edited by HomeBrew; 04-30-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Agree with all of this. Also, you are holding your knees back a little on some reps, make sure to push them forward over your toes.

I'm guessing you are still on your Novice LP. Some days the weight feels heavy and some days it does not (true also after novice LP). Rest assured, this weight is not unduly heavy for you, just look at how fast the bar moves on your third set. Keep at it.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeBrew View Post
    Slow down your decent, you're collapsing pretty much. Break at your knees and hips simultaneously, establish chest over position in the first 1/3 of the decent, go down slower with more control, staying tight in your abs and lower back. Focus on keeping the bar balanced over the middle of your feet. Bounce and continue driving your hips up all the way, you have a bad habit of lifting your chest, which is killing your power and probably making your knees hurt.