starting strength gym

Thread: Bench press form check - thanks!

Default Bench press form check - thanks!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Set 1 of 4 112.5kg x4@8.5 30.4.2017 Set 1 of 4 112.5kg x4@8.5 - YouTube
    Set 4 of 4 112.5kg x 4@9 30.4.2017 Set 4 of 4 112.5kg x 4@9 - YouTube

Thanks for your advice!

Ok, I'm not the greatest bencher, but seeing a few things

1. Get tight and stay tight. I see you playing with your hand hold, things are moving around, etc. The tighter you are the better you can transmit force
    2. Retract (bring together) and depress (bring down) your scapula. I don't see you doing that during your setup.
    2a. You only need to lock out your elbows, I could be wrong, but it almost looks like you're stretching your arms so far out that even your shoulders are going up - they should be tucked in
    3. Interesting Yoga going on behind you in the first video... :P

They look pretty solid to me, might even be light for you.

Personally, I like to grip the hell out of the bar - I like the feeling that the bar is part of my arms, and my grip will never be an issue. The reason I bring this up is that it appears like your finger tips are perched lightly on top of the bar, and does not appear to be the most solid grip possible.

Lastly, you will want to find a way to use safeties in the near future. Either a spotter or in the power rack. When you fail a rep (and you will eventually), knowing you have an exit strategy is helpful.

Keep pushing ahead!

Thanks! Never realized that re my shoulders going up, you're right. Yea the yoga dude does that for two hours straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    They look pretty solid to me, might even be light for you.

Personally, I like to grip the hell out of the bar - I like the feeling that the bar is part of my arms, and my grip will never be an issue. The reason I bring this up is that it appears like your finger tips are perched lightly on top of the bar, and does not appear to be the most solid grip possible.

Lastly, you will want to find a way to use safeties in the near future. Either a spotter or in the power rack. When you fail a rep (and you will eventually), knowing you have an exit strategy is helpful.

Keep pushing ahead!
    So the grip I do is essentially the SS press grip, also shown here: Instagram

Yes I need a spotter. Yoga dude wasnt up for it