starting strength gym

Thread: No Bench

Default No Bench

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was wondering about how you would alter the program if someone was working out at home and had no bench? you have mentioned that you don't bench any longer and I was wondering if I need to alternate the press with another exercise? My goal is to get this lift up to 225 this year (workout weight), right now my 1RM is 185. Could I simply alternate the power clen and deadlift only deadlift on Wed and power clean on Mon and Fri Squat all 3 days and press all 3 days ? Would it be better to alternate the press with push press on wed?

Thanks for your input.

Dr. Power

It's fine to press all three days. Just take smaller jumps so that you don't get stuck. This will require the use of fractional plates. This is not being a pussy; it is being practical.

Default Which raises another Question

CouldI just wave load the press (135 on mon, 140 on wed, 145on fri, 140 on mon, 145 on wed, 150 on fri, etc.)? Or would fractional plates be better?
    Where is a good source for these fractional plates?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

I was wondering; I am training for strength in my job as a gardener. So I deadlift ,squat press and bench press, powerclean and chin. I am still a novice.
    What will happen if only quit benching and just do 3 times a week overhead pressing ? ( also no dips )
    Will it slow down my progress in upperbody strength?
    Will I be less strong?
    Will my arms be weaker ( less loading )?

"Wave" loading is not a linear progression. Small plates will keep you unstuck longer. You can buy them several places, or you can make them out of 2" flat washers and JB Weld.

And you're strength training to be a gardener? You'll get a strong press if you just press, and your benching strength will go down.

starting strength coach development program
    The best (most cost effective)idea I have read so far for fractional plates is to go to Home Depo or any other store that sells chains, and has a scale that measures grams. Buy yourself some snap lock clips, and weigh a link of the chain and a clip.

Then buy enough chain and clips to make 2 loops of each weight 1/4lb and 1/2lb, and make four 1lb loops. Now you have every fractional weight you need to increment overhead press and other hard to increase lifts every workout. (I am assuming your gym has at least 2.5lb plates, as they seem to be the smallest standard size)

When you use these on the bar, put on your plates, a collar, then the chains outside the collar, then a small spring collar outside the chains to keep the chains from sliding off.

Or, if you have a lot of money, you can go to:

www.fractionalplates.com

They will trade you fractional plates for large sums of cash, and if you value your money far less than I do, they will even monogram your plates for you.