starting strength gym

Thread: Modifying Candito's 6 week program

Default Modifying Candito's 6 week program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    In case anyone is interested, I'm going to attempt a modified version of Candito's 6 week program for squats. Four cycles on this program have put 60 lbs on my 1RM. I failed my max attempt(+10 lbs) after the 5th cycle I just finished, likely due to a 5 lb drop in bodyweight. The biggest complaint I have with the program is that it is, obviously, very short, so it does not leave very much time for just getting in some nice volume. It's sort of a week or two of volume then a few weeks of tapering/peaking/maxing. Soooooo, my plan is to repeat week one, a pure volume week, for four weeks while possibly just adding 5 lbs/week. Week 1 of the program is 4x6 followed by 4x8. My hope in making this change is to easily succeed on my last failed attempt and hopefully go up another 10 lbs for a 20 lb PR at the end of 8-9 weeks. I'll try to remember to pop in and update here and there along the way.

Current max 465
    Last failed attempt 475.

Today's workout was 365x6x4(78.5%)
    Next one is 325x8x4(70%)

Update. In the middle of the third week of additional volume. Ramping up 5 lbs/week and going well so far. I'll have to see if this ends up making weeks 2-5 a bit too light. I'll ramp up a little if so since I used a pretty conservative 1rm to base the training cycle on.