starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift and Bench Press Check

Default Deadlift and Bench Press Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    The other threads for my squat and press have been helpful to me so far so here are vids of the last sets for my deadlift and bench for your critiquing enjoyment.. let me know where I can improve...

Deadlift - 260
    Deadlift 5/1 - 260lbs - YouTube

Bench - 200
    Bench Press 5/1 - 200lbs - YouTube

Deads look pretty good. Next time take the video more from the side, as much to the side as you can without the plates blocking the view of your feet/shins.

Noted

Deadlift- Squeeze your chest up harder before you pull. Does your chest look like the proud chest of superman? Also looks much too light for you. Good deadlifts otherwise.

Bench- You're wobbling from side to side on the bench a little. Make that stop. Take a great, big breath at the top of each rep and hold it.

First time I think anyone has ever said any lift looked "too light" for me when it comes to SS lol. I learned the hard way early on that jumping weight because I thought it was "too light" ended in failure so I'm just taking my time trying to work through the program right. Anyway, here is an update from yesterday afternoon @ 270lbs

I will update the bench video tomorrow

Last edited by Dave Joksimovic; 05-04-2017 at 04:16 AM.

This is still light for you; which is fine, and not a suggestion to make large jumps in weight. But it will allow you to lift with less than perfect technique. You should keep working on squeezing your chest up tighter, so you will be prepared when the weight is heavy. Try rotating your chest up between your shoulders in order to try to point your chest at the wall in front of you.

Updates for both. The deadlift reps are sloooowww. I mentioned it in my squat thread but I tweaked my back earlier so everything that followed wasn't exactly comfortable lol, bench felt a little more solid but judge for yourselves.

Bench Press 205
    Bench Press 5/5 - 205lbs - YouTube

Deadlift 280
    Deadlift 5/5 - 280lbs - YouTube

The Chuck Taylors Aren't so good. Check out some real shoes for weight lifting.

Lol I catch shit for the shoes everywhere. Disclaimer, I totally plan on getting a proper pair in the future, especially if I progress further than my current goals. My set up is less than optimal (I mean come on I'm pulling deadlifts on a sheet of plywood in my basement) but I'm making due with what I can for now.

starting strength coach development program
    DL: Move the bar over your midfoot, forward probably an inch; your shins are nearly vertical at the start which is not optimal. You are not setting your back as well as you can; squeeze your chest harder, point it at the wall in front of you. Work hard to keep the bar in contact with your legs during the pull.

Bench: Not much to say, though you are wiggling around a bit. Can't tell if that is from a shitty narrow bench (piece of equipment), or if you are not getting tight and using enough leg drive.