starting strength gym

Thread: Form check press 2.0. Upper back pain

Default Form check press 2.0. Upper back pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Height 6 feet
    Weight 92Kg

Relearning the press after a deload. I had pain in my upper back (right side,near the shoulder blade, gets worse when i bend forward) which went away after 2 weeks rest and anti inflammatory. Seems to have returned after returning to the gym and this workout with light weights(did deadlifts after so not sure).Ice is doing nothing as the discomfort seems deep. Please check form

Last edited by threeonethree; 05-02-2017 at 12:14 PM.

Zero bounce. You are not tight at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Zero bounce. You are not tight at all.
    i kept my quads as tight as i could , took a deep breath as you can see in the vid... used my quads to keep the knees tight.. What else do i need to tighten?

It looks like you are leaning backwards almost, are you breathing deep and getting rigid in your core and squeezing your glutes tight? I think that would help you quick a lot, and I'm not sure if you need to have that much movement. Try to think about just getting the bar straight up and down, that's the goal, and the hip movement (Your looks like it's more a lean than moving your hips, but that's easy to fix: get tight as I mentioned and focus on bracing, rigid core, glutes) and the hips is just a necessary movement to make the bar move in a straight line.

I'm working on my press as well, there's always things to improve. Try these suggestions and upload a new one and we'll see if there's any improvement!