• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy,

31 Male 240lbs

SQ: 490
    DL: 505
    BP: 275
    PR: 230

I'm currently on my second run of GGW, just finished week 3. My first run went pretty decent. Body weight remained constant, and I set some nice PR's on upper body lifts, but got greedy with my squat and deadlift and ended up barely failing both. I definitely could have PR'd had I been more conservative.

Anyway since the weather is getting nicer I started pushing a prowler once a week this time through the program. I'm using the heart rate method per the article on this site (210lb sled, push until you're at 180bpm, rest until you're under 150bpm, repeat. 10 minute cap). I'm fortunate enough to have a long driveway, although it's on a slight incline so it is brutally hard one way, easy the other. I go back and forth about 100 feet until I hit my heart rate limit and/or my quads fail (usually 3 trips at the start, 1.5-2 trips after).

I've been doing either Tuesday or Wednesday depending on how the weather is outside each day. Will this work long term? Particularly going into weeks 7-9? I feel like death when I'm done, and it doesn't seem to be interfering with recovery, but it's still early in the cycle. I'm also thinking of adding another day, perhaps Saturday?

My goal is to get some semblance of conditioning while increasing strength.

Always appreciate your input,

Thanks!

Yes, I've never seen that a small volume of prowler work interfered with getting stronger. Just don't do it the day before your heavy squats and you'll be fine.