starting strength gym

Thread: Squats, WL and .. how much I hate double-unders

Default Squats, WL and .. how much I hate double-unders

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Greetings

I wrote a training log a few years ago, when I struggled to get some 'basic' strenght work/numbers in the book - and as I am now struggling with a few goals, I figured going back to logging could provide some assistance.

I have been hanging around the "crossfit community" for 3-4 years, but I always had more fun working on strenght and WL, than doing wods. The challenge of getting the hang of those olympic lifts had a much greater appeal to me.
    However, I recently moved - quite far away. Found a new gym, box, place to throw weights around. The community is amazing and I decided to do the "Opens" 2017, because after 3-4 years of "CF" - why not. This scarred my ego quite alot.

I am a SLOW learner - and I have historically SLOW progress with anything I touch. Currently trying to learn something as stupid as double-unders (rope skipping), and its... not going well. At all.

Last year I participated in a WL program, with a russian squat cycle added, which worked wonders. I am trying to re-engage with the program, and focus on snatch this time, instead of C&J. A definitely consider my self to be a "social lifter"

A few stats:
    Age 33, male, 85ish kg bw
    Workout frequency: 4-5 times a week
    Back Squat: 135 kg
    Front Squat: 120 kg
    Deadlift: 175 kg
    OH Pres: 70 kg
    Snatch: 75 kg
    Clean & Jerk: 105 kg

Current goals:
    Back Squat 140 kg (to be attempted 13th of May 2017)
    Snatch: 85 kg (bodyweight)
    Those.. F*****g double-unders. Just a solid 30-40 reps.

** If I am somehow violating some forum rules, please let me know. I tried to read up on the "before you post" to my best ability before creating this log.
    Last edited by bside; 05-03-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Week 5, Day 2, Russian Squat Cycle
    Back Squats: 3 x 3 at 130 kg (286 pounds)
    Completed the set as: 3 x 120, 125, 130 kg - the 3 x sets at 130 was a bit 'hardcore' mentally, as I have never done more than 1 rep with this weight.

Snatch: light reps, up to 65 kg.
    Snatch pull: 3 x 80, 85, 85, 85 kg.

Behind-neck push jerk: 4 x 50, 60, 70, 70, 70 kg.

Double-unders, 10 min focused work. *sigh*
    2 month into this. Saw every video, listened to every well-meaning gym buddy. Nothing. Works.
    My rep scheme looks something like this: 1 - 2 - 4 - 1 - 6 - 1.5 - 7! - 2 (at this point Im trying to angrily throw the rope away, which is unfortunaly entangled in my legs, which makes things difficult).
    -> A few good minutes with; single under, double under, single under, etc. No problems here.