starting strength gym

Thread: Squat + deadlift

Default Squat + deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello guys,

Lately i'm getting a bit frustrated on how to fix the bar position for squatting. I started a thread one week ago and I found out that I've been high bar squatting all the time and not low bar. I know the bar should be placed right below spine of scapula and I've watched vids over and over again. But I just can't seem to find the "sweet spot" for placing the bar and getting it stable. Can someone please care to explain detailed on how to place the bar?

This is last set of squatting today.

Two last sets of deadlifts today:

225lbs

265lbs - last rep lower back seems a bit rounded

Getting your wrists straight will help. Watch the bar speed on your squat, what happens when you look up into the mirror? Also your stance, get your feet pointed out to 30 degrees. And bigger air, more ab bracing.

Deadlift, you are rushing the setup and ommiting the chest lifting step. Your hips have dropped a bit too low, and the bar seems like it might be too far away from your shin.
    Last edited by HomeBrew; 05-03-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Hi thanks for replying. I'll try to flare out knees and toes a bit more. How about the bar position? Should it be placed a bit lower?

If my hips were a bit higher, wouldnt that make my back less neutral?

Where are you looking during your set? It looks to me like you're craning your neck forward and looking straight down, which isn't really optimal.

Squats: Do you have SSBBT:3d? If so, reread the squat chapter please. You are essentially still doing a high bar squat. The bar needs to be about an inch lower. You need to lean over and point your chest to the ground. All of these reps look high, but it is hard to tell from the camera angle and shaky video (read the stickies on how to properly film a form check). I suspect some squat shoes would help as well. I second the comments about fixing your stance and getting your knees out over your toes.

DL: Slow down between the reps, not a lot, but enough to actually reset your back. read the sticky above about the 5 step set up. As noted above, you are skipping step 4, squeezing your chest tight to set your back (instead you are trying to set your back by cranking your neck up and back, which is insufficient). Keeping your hips higher will not make your back less neutral, provided you properly squeeze up your chest. Read the sticky on filming form checks for deadlifts.

Definitely not a coach, but you're in the same spot I was (am) in when I realized I wasn't doing low-bar even close to correct. I'm working hard on fixing that. As far as bar position it is about an inch lower than you have it in the video. You will have to experiment to find it, too high and you'll look like this vid, too low and the bar will roll around on you (not fun). The way I "found it" for myself was to squeeze the shit out of my shoulder blades and wiggle around until the bar finds the mythical "shelf" some might mention on here. Suddenly it will settle in to place, then its a matter of narrowing your grip (which is a whole other pain in the ass if you're like me).

Other than that I can't say much in way of advice than anyone else hasn't, plus I'm still learning to apply it all myself. Just keep at it.

My back angle being too vertical is also caused by bar not placed low enough, I think it is. I wear Nike Romaleos 3 since one or two weeks, but I don't find the heel-raise optimal for squatting actually. I have flat feet. Guess I'll try squatting with flat soles tomorrow.

Nice to have it confirmed that the bar should be placed lower. I could've guessed it but I might have tried to convince myself that that was the lowest point lol.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRaver View Post
    My back angle being too vertical is also caused by bar not placed low enough, I think it is. I wear Nike Romaleos 3 since one or two weeks, but I don't find the heel-raise optimal for squatting actually. I have flat feet. Guess I'll try squatting with flat soles tomorrow.
    Having flat feet and lifting in a shoe with a heel do not have anything to do with each other.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRaver View Post
    I wear Nike Romaleos 3 since one or two weeks, but I don't find the heel-raise optimal for squatting actually. I have flat feet. Guess I'll try squatting with flat soles tomorrow.
    Having flat feet and lifting in a shoe with a heel do not have anything to do with each other.