starting strength gym

Thread: Beginner Progression

Default Beginner Progression

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    You've said that a beginner will have huge gains (such as 40lbs bw and 300lbs to their lifts) with the SS program, i was wondering how long this process takes. I don't mean to be impatient or to rush things but the deal is that i've increased my lifts by an average of 10lbs per week for the 1st 5 weeks and am stuck now. The lifts are nowhere near a heavy weight yet or what i'd find respectable (basically i want to keep adding more, a lot more). I try to add a little (5lbs) and also go back down in weight but now my legs never seem to recover to squat anymore than my 5 rep max from 5 weeks. I get plenty of sleep, drink a gallon of milk a day (hate milk now by the way) and try to do everything i can for rest. Problem is i also do jiu jitsu 3 times a week. Am i just over exerting my body or am i progressing at a normal rate and just need to be more patient? I've only been stalled at this weight for 3 weeks now.
    Thanks

Sounds to me like you are either overtraining or undereating. Furthermore, your lifts can't go up by an "average" of 50 lbs., because the squat, the two presses, and the deadlift go up at different rates, and you should know this when you plan your training increases. Unless you weigh 115, your squat should have gone up 10 lbs. per workout for 5 or 6 workouts, your deadlift more than that, and your presses less than that. This means that something was not done correctly. It may be the other training that is causing the interference. Go back and read the programming chapter carefully and see where you screwed up.

Sorry if i worded that wrong or confusing. My progression has been like you described, squat has increased 10lbs a week, deadlift much more than that, and press at around 5lbs each week. I'm not big by any means (160lbs) but from what you wrote where i stalled is normal (5th workout). It seems like this is nothing out of the ordinary and i just need to keep working right? I'll drop the weight a little bit and try working my way up again. Thanks for the great book and all the help.

Read the reply again. Your 10 lb./week increase on the squat is not my program.