starting strength gym

Thread: squat - knee slide

Default squat - knee slide

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I recently did a major deload with hopes of fixing my kneee slide and the accompanying anterior hip tendonitis. Does it look like I've minimized the issue with these sets, or do I need to drop the weight even further? Thanks

135 back - YouTube

135 side - YouTube

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

(1) Slow down the movement. Make the unlocking of your hips and knees and the descent more deliberate. Once you start learning the correct movement pattern, we can speed things up a little.

(2) You still have a knee slide because you're not setting your knees early. This is because you're breaking your hips first, and the knees have to catch up for the rest of the movement. Break the hips and knees at the same time, and get the knees to their final position by the first half of the descent.

I could only use the side video...the back video is too far away to see anything useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    (1) Slow down the movement. Make the unlocking of your hips and knees and the descent more deliberate. Once you start learning the correct movement pattern, we can speed things up a little.

(2) You still have a knee slide because you're not setting your knees early. This is because you're breaking your hips first, and the knees have to catch up for the rest of the movement. Break the hips and knees at the same time, and get the knees to their final position by the first half of the descent.

I could only use the side video...the back video is too far away to see anything useful.
    140 right - YouTube

140 left - YouTube

it would be really helpful if you could look at these and point out reps where i accidentally got it right/more right or reps where I got it especially wrong. I'm having a lot of trouble getting my head around the concept

i think there were a few in the video shot from the left that might have been pretty decent today?

Consigliere

I agree--these look a lot better. Let's use the left video.

Rep 1--hips got a big head start on the knees. Note how your knees shoot forward at the very bottom.

Rep 2--hips and knees broke pretty closely. Note how your knees don't shoot forward at the bottom.

Rep 3--same

Rep 4--same

Rep 5--hips broke a little early, but you recovered. Very minimal knee slide.

I'd like to see a rear 45 degree view, because there might be something going on with your knees that I can't see from the side. But the video has to be close enough to be useful. Pending that, keep the controlled descent going...it's clearly making a difference.

My hip pain is still bothering me to the point that I couldn't get through todays sets. How long do you think I have to take off before this heals up? Should I continue with all of the other lifts (none of which bother it, even DLs) without the squat, or should I rest those as well?

Consigliere

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    My hip pain is still bothering me to the point that I couldn't get through todays sets. How long do you think I have to take off before this heals up? Should I continue with all of the other lifts (none of which bother it, even DLs) without the squat, or should I rest those as well?
    I don't have any familiarity with hip tendinitis. A lot of others have though, and have discussed it on this board, so I'd do a little searching. You should find some good input.