starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming secondary movements with DUP (PC and Press)

Default Programming secondary movements with DUP (PC and Press)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello everyone

I would like to do some sort of DUP after I end starting strength in a few weeks, with both strength and hypertrophy in mind.
    This is as a part of my off-season training, from a sport called Handball.

I plan to day 3 sessions per week with squat, bench and deadlift every session.

How would you program secondary movements like powerclean and press?

If it matters my numbers are (kg):
    Weight, height, age: 84, 184cm, 20
    Squat: 3x5x135
    Pres: 3x3x62.5
    Deadlift: 1x5x145
    Powerclean: 5x3x95
    Benchpress: 3x5x87.5

Best Andersen

I was a handball coach and player (olympic sport, not american versions) and I think the press and the powerclean are very important as a player, since overhead strength and RFD -respectively- are key in the sport. I would give them a big priority if performance is your main goal. Also I don't think you need to DL or bench 3 times a week as an early intermediate whose main interest is not powerlifting, but of course I will leave goal-setting to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andersen View Post
    Hello everyone

I would like to do some sort of DUP after I end starting strength in a few weeks, with both strength and hypertrophy in mind.
    This is as a part of my off-season training, from a sport called Handball.

I plan to day 3 sessions per week with squat, bench and deadlift every session.

How would you program secondary movements like powerclean and press?

If it matters my numbers are (kg):
    Weight, height, age: 84, 184cm, 20
    Squat: 3x5x135
    Pres: 3x3x62.5
    Deadlift: 1x5x145
    Powerclean: 5x3x95
    Benchpress: 3x5x87.5

Best Andersen
    You are one explosive summbitch, your power clean is 2/3 of your deadlift.

You could use sets of 5 (strength) with deadlift, sets of 8 (hypertrophy) with RDL's or SLDL's, sets of 3 (power) with PC's.
    You can just do presses after bench, but at a lower volume or you could still A/B bench and press if you don't care about powerlifting competitively or you could do both each session, but where the higher volume lift changes each session.

Take a look at some of Andy's HLM stuff. That is still very similar to DUP and you can tweak it how you'd like to be more DUP-y.

EL Rojo:
    Its the european/olympic version. The same as you. The reason why I found DUP appealing is the high frequency on the lifts, but nothing is really set in stone. The goal is just to get bigger and stronger, while my main focus is on handball.
    If I may ask, what do you suggest that I do?
    And by the way, where did you play?

OZ-USF-UFGator:
    Well my deadlift suck in general, so its a little misleading. But I do find powercleans very attractive.

George Christian:
    I kinda like your suggested pulling scheme.
    I just dont like the natural progression of HLM. What do you do when you stall on your sets of five?
    Andy's HLM articles does not offer, to me at least, a long term plan of progression.
    Would you start rotating reps or run it out like with the Texas Method or something third?

I kinda like your suggested pulling scheme.
    I just dont like the natural progression of HLM. What do you do when you stall on your sets of five?
    Andy's HLM articles does not offer, to me at least, a long term plan of progression.
    Would you start rotating reps or run it out like with the Texas Method or something third?
    You don't have to use the same reps ram\nges for all the sessions or even the lifts in a session. The HLM can be thought of as difficulty. You simply cannot go balls to the wall on every lift every day, so in a DUP context you do different rep ranges, but you also have to also consider how heavy for the particular rep range you will go.

You don't have to use RPE to pick the weights on the spot, but you do have to use that sort of thinking to know what weights are heavy, light or medium.

So for example let's say these are you lifts:

3 reps- H200 is a RPE9, M175 is a RPE8, and L150 is a RPE 7
    5 reps- H175 is a RPE9, M150 is a RPE8, and L100 is a RPE 7
    8 reps- H150 is a RPE9, M100 is a RPE8, and L75 is a RPE 7

Now you pick what rep range you want for each day based on what you want to prioritize or else rotate through all of them giving each day it's own HLM scheme.

So three weeks would look like this:

Day 1 3 reps- H200
    Day 2 5 reps- L75
    Day 3 8 reps- M100

Day 1 3 reps- L150
    Day 2 5 reps- M150
    Day 3 8 reps- H150

Day 1 3 reps- M175
    Day 2 5 reps- H175
    Day 3 8 reps- L75

You add weight every time you get back to a heavy day and only if you made all the reps in that respective rep range.

I'd actually do Day 1-5's, Day 2 8's, and Day 3-3's, but I am too lazy to fix it.

i dont think you read the whole article on HLM

you move form higher volume and then up the intensity when you "stall" on 5 reps

that is just one iteration of the program

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Why is the press a secondary movement for your sport?
    Well it is not. But i guess it would be in a DUP program. But I could be the other way around with press as main and bench as secondary. Maybe that is actually better for my situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    i dont think you read the whole article on HLM

you move form higher volume and then up the intensity when you "stall" on 5 reps

that is just one iteration of the program
    Say I benchpress on heavy day for three sets of five. What do I when I stall? Lower reps to three sets of three or one set of five. Well isn't that just SS over again with a little lower frequency?

George Christiansen:
    That layout actually look really interesting! Would you do that with only with squat, bench and deadlift or would you rotate?

Well it is not. But i guess it would be in a DUP program. But I could be the other way around with press as main and bench as secondary. Maybe that is actually better for my situation.

Say I benchpress on heavy day for three sets of five. What do I when I stall? Lower reps to three sets of three or one set of five. Well isn't that just SS over again with a little lower frequency?

George Christiansen:
    That layout actually look really interesting! Would you do that with only with squat, bench and deadlift or would you rotate?
    There are sooo many variables.

I do what could be thought of as a TM spread across two weeks or WUP (weekly undulating). Press, squat, and deadlift do all the Wup-ing, but I do a bunch of accessory work that stays in the same general reps ranges each week, but the overall volume of the exercises is higher on the volume week and lower on the intensity week. Someone could tie the actual rep ranges closer to the respective lifts, but that would probably wreck me.

starting strength coach development program
    EL Rojo:
    Its the european/olympic version. The same as you. The reason why I found DUP appealing is the high frequency on the lifts, but nothing is really set in stone. The goal is just to get bigger and stronger, while my main focus is on handball.
    If I may ask, what do you suggest that I do?
    And by the way, where did you play?
    I also think HLM is the way to go for athletes. It can be easily modified in order to adapt it to various conditions (off-season, in-season, school tests, whatever etc.). For instance the best program I ran in season when I used to play was a simple Heavy-Light squeme with SQ, BP and DL on mondays and Light SQ, PR and PC on thursdays, plus accessories when time and recovery allowed.

On the off-season you may do any sensible general strength program and focus on adding loads of quality mass. Just to give you some idea, take a look to Bill Starr's power routine:

Monday – Heavy Day
    Squat – 5 sets of 5
    Bench – 5 sets of 5
    Powerclean – 5 sets of 5
    Weighted hyperextensions – 2 sets
    Weighted sit-ups – 4 sets

Wednesday – Light Day
    Squat – 4 sets of 5
    Incline Bench – 4 sets of 5
    High Pulls – 4 sets of 5
    Sit-ups- 3 sets

Friday – Medium
    Squat – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, 1 set of 8
    Bench – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, 1 set of 8
    Powercleans – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple
    Weighted Dips- 3 sets of 5-8
    Triceps and Biceps – 3 sets of 8 each

Something like this will make a bull out of you and your team mates won't believe it when they see you after summer... LOL

BTW you can program HLM any way you like: linear, ondulated, etc. When you exhaust your fives you can go down to triples and then to doubles or singles, or start alternating sets of 8 one week, sets of 5 the other, triples or doubles the next, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast