starting strength gym

Thread: HLM program review

Question HLM program review

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey. I recently finished a half-assed cycle of GGW (that's on me, not the program), and based on what I've learned from that and other things I've run and stuff I've read and my goals, I put together an HLM/HMM kinda thing but with the Hs all spread out. Just wanting to see if anyone sees anything glaringly good/bad. So, goals going into the program design, not in order:

* More pressing volume
    * More upper/mid back work (aesthetics lulz)
    * Get stronger
    * Top singles
    * Good mix of rep ranges
    * Watching out for low back recovery

The reps in [] are rep ranges cycling over 3 weeks.

Mon
    Sq 1@8-9, 3x[8,6,4]@8-9
    Press 1@8-9, 10 min density
    Chins 7 min density
    DB bench
    GHR

Wed
    Bench 1@8-9, 3x[6,4,8]@8-9
    Leg Press 3x8@heavy
    Incline Press
    BB Rows

Fri
    DL 1@8-9, 2x[2,6,4]@8-9
    Sq 3x6@7
    Face Pulls
    DB Press

Final 2 exercises are meant to be superset w/low rests. Hadn't finalized rep ranges on the assistance stuff but was thinking probably in the 3x8-12 range, if I hit 3x12 bump the weight next time. I think this hits my bullet points. I have also considered doing a little bit of A/B - swapping chins+GHR for SGDL every other Mon, and front squats for Leg Press every other Weds. Thoughts?

Log if relevant

hopefully somebody helps but my head exploded reading this

How can you have a legit program working up to an 8 or a 9? If you do an 8 thats a lot different programming than doing a 9

The actual target is that 8.5 "I know I have one more but not sure if 2" range. Was there a specific head-splodey part?

There is no way you can accurately dial in a half rep

Would it help if I said @94% of whatever my 1RM happens to be at the time, given that my 1RM will fluctuate by a few percent on any given day, meaning that the weight I use will probably fall between 92 and 96% of my actual potential that day? @8-9

I think I'd have a hard time hitting an @8.5 on purpose. For week to week, it seems like x1@8 would serve you better.

Edit: Also, consider that if you write @8, there's a tolerance of .5 RPE in there so it's really @7.5-8.5. That's "close enough", at least according to Mike T. Some days you will overshoot by more than .5... probably better that you don't go past x1@9 regularly.
    Last edited by manveer; 05-09-2017 at 09:18 AM.

Could work i dont really know

I am in the minority here amongst the more experienced guys here downstairs not being a fan of RPE for intermediates

If you know that you half assed GGW then why change to RPE when it would have worked had you not half assed it?

If you just want a change then go for it but no program will work if you dont do everything right.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    I think I'd have a hard time hitting an @8.5 on purpose. For week to week, it seems like x1@8 would serve you better.

Edit: Also, consider that if you write @8, there's a tolerance of .5 RPE in there so it's really @7.5-8.5. That's "close enough", at least according to Mike T.
    Would it make sense to maybe target @8 on the higher rep backoff weeks, and @9 on the higher intensity backoff week? So for instance:

Squat
    W1: 1@8, 3x8@8
    W2: 1@8, 3x6@8
    W3: 1@9, 3x4@9

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    Could work i dont really know

I am in the minority here amongst the more experienced guys here downstairs not being a fan of RPE for intermediates

If you know that you half assed GGW then why change to RPE when it would have worked had you not half assed it?

If you just want a change then go for it but no program will work if you dont do everything right.
    I didn't end up liking the specific way GGW waves work. I did enjoy the different set/rep ranges and higher pulling volume than many of the programs I see. In my mind, RPE and percentages are basically the same thing, it just depends on what you're taking a percentage of. It's either an arbitrary training max, or your (admittedly also arbitrary and fuzzy) performance potential that day. Others are probably less fuzzy than me with their ratings, have bar speed etc. I'm still pretty sure I can generally tell within a rep if I have 0-3 left though.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by cgeorg View Post
    Would it make sense to maybe target @8 on the higher rep backoff weeks, and @9 on the higher intensity backoff week? So for instance:

Squat
    W1: 1@8, 3x8@8
    W2: 1@8, 3x6@8
    W3: 1@9, 3x4@9
    Seems reasonable to me to go to that intensity 1 out of 3 weeks, but I don't really have the experience to say whether or not that's a good setup.