starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check

Default Squat check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Basics just in case:

32 / M / 205 lbs /5' 11"

Current program: SSLP for the nth time. Currently focusing on working on squat form. Had gotten to 320x5x3 previously, but form was probably not ideal.

Current work sets:
    S: 285x5x3
    BP: 180x5x3
    OP: 120x5x3
    DL: 365x5
    PC: 140x3x5

This is the third set from today at 285 from the side and from rear ~30 degrees (sorry about the door frame / wall blocking the view of the ends of the barbell. Working out in an apartment can involve some compromises). I am trying to use TUBOW for my knees, which have a tendency to move continuously throughout the rep. Furthermore, I was trying to focus on shoving my knees out, but it seems like it wasn't effective. I think I hit depth on the first one, but the remainder look on the bad side of borderline to me.

TLDR but still TL:

(Mute unless you want to hear terrible EDM)

EDIT: I don't know why, but the youtube feature that allows you to move to a specified time isn't working for me. First video starts at 0m 29s; second starts at 0m 39 sec.

Things I think I see:

1) Depth is an issue. I've been working on this, and I think the first two sets were actually better, but the were filmed from a slightly different angle, so I'm not sure.

2) Upper back could be tighter.

3) I'm picking up my head at the bottom. I look almost straight down on the descent and can't seem to keep my head where it is. I think this contributes to (2)?

4) Knees / ass coming back a bit on the ascent, which gets worse as the set progresses.

So, give it to me straight. How bad is this?

Thanks for your time. Really appreciate how much effort people put into this community.
    Last edited by rjharris; 05-10-2017 at 10:41 AM.

In addition to your observations, Your stance looks a bit too narrow, heels at shoulder width may help your depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dujin View Post
    In addition to your observations, Your stance looks a bit too narrow, heels at shoulder width may help your depth.
    Yeah, I was trying to play around with my stance. This is an inch or a bit narrower than I had been using, so that might have messed things up. Thanks for looking.

I agree with items 2 and 3.

1. Depth is not an issue. Every rep is right where it needs to be.
    2. Upper back is pretty loose. Take a huge breath, get that chest out nice and proud and keep it through the whole rep.
    3. Raising the head is a nasty and hard to break habit. Work hard on it during warmup's.
    4. Your knees and hips are coming back because your raising your hips first on the ascent. A little movement there is ok but these are starting to look a little good morningish . Fight hard to keep the back angle you set on the way down.

I like your tubow ... Probably something I should start using.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepsky3539 View Post
    I agree with items 2 and 3.
    Thanks for the response. Got in just before my next squat sets, haha.

1. Depth is not an issue. Every rep is right where it needs to be.
    I would really like to think this, and it might even be true. The lighting in my apartment is not great, even with two extra lamps (!) in my gym room, so it's hard for me to tell exactly where the hip crease ends.

2. Upper back is pretty loose. Take a huge breath, get that chest out nice and proud and keep it through the whole rep.
    3. Raising the head is a nasty and hard to break habit. Work hard on it during warmup's.
    I think that 2 and 3 are kind of related. Well, sort of. I have a tendency to look almost straight down (well, 1-2' in front of me) on the descent, so my neck and upper back aren't in alignment, and I've read elsewhere on this site that looking too far down / lack of upper back tightness can be related. Oddly enough, and I don't know if you can see it in the video, but when I get to the bottom, my head picks up and *then* the neck is neutral.

4. Your knees and hips are coming back because your raising your hips first on the ascent. A little movement there is ok but these are starting to look a little good morningish . Fight hard to keep the back angle you set on the way down.

I like your tubow ... Probably something I should start using.
    Agreed. I think working on upper back tightness will help this.

starting strength coach development program
    Okay, so I tried to work on this today. Backed off to 255 to work on all the things. Because I think they're the bigger problems in my previous sets, I decided to focus on upper back tightness and on gaze.

Set 3, side view 255x5, third set. - YouTube
    Set 3, rear 30 255x5, third set, back view - YouTube

Things I think I see:

1) Depth is better. I widened my stance by about an inch and a half compared to the third set last time.
    2) I didn't really even set my upper back on the 285 set I linked to. I think I did a better job setting it here. Control seems to degrade a little bit at the bottom (elbows seem to drop a little), but I don't think it's that terrible.
    3) Gaze is not straight down anymore, which is good. I'm still picking my head up a little, but I don't think it's as bad as it was before.
    4) Still shooting my hips back a tad coming up.