starting strength gym

Thread: Squat, press, deadlift forms

Default Squat, press, deadlift forms

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, I started SS in October (was 6'3" 150lb up to 165 now), but I got injured in February (was weighing around 170-175lb) and am just starting back this week. I started back light at 115lb (I was up to around 185 in Feb). Can anyone give me some feedback on form? Are there any that I was getting right? I feel like my knees might be coming forward, but since I am tall and my legs are long, it makes it more difficult.

Squat- squat - YouTube

Press- press - YouTube

Deadlift- deadlift - YouTube

Squat: Control the descent a little bit more. Think you could go a little higher (i.e. cut off about a half inch). I believe these problems are inter-related. You'll be able to feel the proper depth a little better when you slow down the descent. Also, your lower back is loose. Spine moves too much. Bigger breath in. Hold it all the way down and all the way back up.

Press: Hands are too wide. Put your index fingers where the knurl meets the smooth part. Elbows should be in front of the wrists slightly. Right now, your elbows are at your sides. Point them towards the mirror. Whatever that hitch you're doing before you press, stop it. Hips drive forward. Keep the knees straight. Watch this video: How to Overhead Press With Mark Rippetoe | The Art of Manliness - YouTube

Deadlift: You need to learn the five steps. Please see this video for a succinct description. How to Deadlift With Mark Rippetoe | The Art of Manliness - YouTube

Thank you for your suggestions, I appreciate it. Would you explain a little more on my spine in the squat?

Yeah, watch the video. See how at the bottom your butt kinda tucks under and your lower back curves? That's because you're not bracing enough with your trunk. Take a big breath in. Hold. Squat down and up. Breath at the top. Repeat. It should feel like you're trying to press out from your stomach and back on all sides.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlifts View Post
    Yeah, watch the video. See how at the bottom your butt kinda tucks under and your lower back curves? That's because you're not bracing enough with your trunk. Take a big breath in. Hold. Squat down and up. Breath at the top. Repeat. It should feel like you're trying to press out from your stomach and back on all sides.
    Careful with that last cue; we want isometric contraction of the trunk musculature not distension of the belly.

Also, think about tucking your junk under your ass as you reach the bottom.

starting strength coach development program
    Yep, Satch is right. Think more of contracting that trunk!