starting strength gym

Thread: modifications for crappy knees

Default modifications for crappy knees

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark,

I'm 48 years old, 50 lbs overweight and weak.

A few months ago I started working with barbells, inspired by SS (1st edition) and some o-lift coaching. I guess I did too much too soon and quickly (re)discovered that my knees are my weakest link with regard to over-training and insufficient recovery.

I'd like to start up again doing a stricter SS routine, but I think I'll need to lessen the volume of knee-heavy work. Any recommendations on how to do that within the context of the novice program?

At your advanced age (you are 4 years younger than me) and with your knee history, I'd try squatting only twice/week and see if you can tolerate it that way. Young healthy people suck, don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

Young healthy people suck, don't they?
    Definitely. I hate anyone younger, richer or thinner than me. And lets not talk about hairlines.

But getting back on point...

In your estimation, which are harder on one's knees, the slower lifts with relatively heavier weights, or the more explosive lifts at relatively lighter weights?

Also, do you plan to do a book that goes into greater detail on the Olympic lifts? I own a couple, but none have the detail and clarity of your works. Until such time that you do write one, is there something out there that you recommend most?

Lastly, I just finished reading Craig Rasmussen's interviews with you on elitefts.com. Brilliant stuff, as always. You mentioned that a DVD on the lifts is in the works. Anything you can share with us about content and expected availability?

Thanks.

It has been my experience that explosive lifts pose more danger to knees than slower lifts, due to the fact that the same range of motion is being covered in a small fraction of the time. There is a greater potential for control errors during the faster movement, as well as the fact that decelerating the momentum of the bar as gravity overcomes your applied force places a different quality of stress on joints and muscles than a squat or deadlift of comparable effort.

That having been said, neither is as dangerous as soccer. Or dating younger married women.