starting strength gym

Thread: Learning the deadlift ( form check )

Default Learning the deadlift ( form check )

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello fellow forum members !
    I'm trying to relearn the deadlift following the Starting Strength teaching method. ( I was doing my own version until now )
    I'm reading the SSBBT3 for a 2nd time now and I'm currently going over the deadlift chapter.
    I'm trying very hard to do the 5 step setup and not drop my hips down. ( I was DLing with low hips till now )
    My biggest concern at the moment is that when I do the 5 step set up my shoulders end up being too forward, and the bar isn't just under my scapula.

According to the book:
    "The correct position from which to pull will be one in which the scapulas, the bar, and the mid-foot are aligned vertically"
    "...this principle is true for any pull of the floor,with any grip or stance."
    "Each person will have a different set of knee, hip, and back angles, but the correct starting position for everyone will have the previously discussed things in common: the shoulders will be slightly in front of the bar; and the bar will be touching the shins directly over the mid-foot, resulting in the vertical alignment of the scapula, bar and mid foot."

In one of my videos I PURPOSELY dropped my hips in order to align my mid foot,bar and scapula. That was contrary to Coach Rippetoe's teaching but in my eyes the bar was aligned.
    Can someone give me a clarification as to what I'm doing wrong, or a reference from the book that can help ( I apologize if I've missed it )

Deadlift in learning (16/05/17) 45 degree view - YouTube

Deadlift in learning (16/05/17) HIPS UP - YouTube

Deadlift in learning (16/05/17) HIPS DOWN - YouTube
    Last edited by Iksan Ismailov; 05-16-2017 at 11:16 AM.

The first two look fine.

I wouldn't purposely drop your hips. It appears in the 45 degree video that you're getting into a good position and that everything is in line. From the side with the hips "up," you're pulling in a nice vertical path.

I think these look good and I wouldn't try to drop your hips any more than where they end up after the 5 step setup.

So this "out of alignment" thing is just subjective and my form is OK ?
    I can swear that I feel that my shoulders are way too forward and I don't look nothing like the "Standart pulling model" shown on page-118 Figure 4-22 in the book. ( Deadlift chapter )