starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally going to do an LP right

Default Finally going to do an LP right

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Decided that I'm going to finally run an LP the right way. Put time, food and effort into it, a little patience, and see how far we get.

I've done an LP before, using a 5x5 scheme for the main lifts. Progressed very well but was doing far too much assistance volume. I remember getting to around 265 lbs. on working sets for squats before it became too much. I'm much more confident in my ability to intelligently milk all of the gains out of an LP this time and am already very excited to be using the SS method.

Like a lot of people, I won't be doing the power cleans as a.) I don't find them desirable to learn and b.) my gym doesn't really have the proper equipment to perform them.

I'm not a completely untrained individual so my lifts are starting a lot higher than a person completely unfamiliar with the gym. It will be interesting to manage some of my lifts that stall earlier than others and I'm expecting to have to switch up the methods in which I train a couple of them (likely the press and the deadlift) rather quickly.

Here's my stats:
    Height: 5'9.75"
    Weight: 178-180

First two workouts:

5/14/17
    Squat 3 x 5 (205)
    Bench 3 x 5 (155)
    Deadlift 1 x 5 (365)

This was kind of a feeler to get back into the swing of things. I lowballed the squats very significantly as I've never squatted low bar before so it feels almost like an entirely new lift to me. However, I can already feel how much more powerful I can be using my hips and a wider stance and a better back angle throughout is already making a big difference in how my knees and lower back feel. Very excited to keep perfecting low bar technique.

5/16/17
    Squat 3 x 5 (215)
    Press 3 x 5 (115)
    Chins 3 x 13, 8, 6

I had to rush chinups this morning but am confident I can do a lot more with adequate rest between sets. Been awhile since I've done true supinated chins and my biceps were feeling it a lot more than I remember. Will also likely alternate in weighted chins every other day with pressing as they're one of my favorite exercises. Likely will do those for sets of five most of the time.

5/18/17
    Squat 3 x 5 (225)
    Bench 3 x 5 (160)
    Deadlift 1 x 5 (370)

Today is the best low bar squats have felt. Think I finally found the best hand placement and setup and today everything was butter. Going to take a 10 pound jump in the squat for the next two, possibly three workouts then go up five pounds from there.

Regarding my deadlifts, my gym's plates have a smaller diameter than standard plates, something like 15.5-16" compared to the regular 17.5-18" plates that appear most places. So by default pulling from the floor is a small deficit pull for me.

5/21/17
    Squat 3 x 5 (235)
    Press 3 x 5 (120)
    Weighted Chins 3 x 5 (55)
    Curls 3 x 8
    Push downs 3 x 12

Didn't think I would get all the pressing in today, but I moved my grip out about two finger widths and man did it make a difference. Felt very strong at the bottom position. Glad I'll have my micro plates by Thursday so I can go up 2.5 pounds instead of five (I ordered a pair from Rogue).

Weighted chins also felt great, the supinated grip is much easier on the shoulders than I recalled, which is good as my left shoulder can get aggravated from time to time.

Am making a conscious effort to eat a lot more and I can already tell a difference.

Welcome to the forums! The community around here is very knowledgeable, I'd suggest posting a form check as soon as you can and/or direct questions to the SSC QA sections. Many members around here answer questions as well, and we all encourage each other to continue lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Eyes View Post
    Like a lot of people, I won't be doing the power cleans as a.) I don't find them desirable to learn and b.) my gym doesn't really have the proper equipment to perform them.
    Change gyms. Dead serious.

Regarding my deadlifts, my gym's plates have a smaller diameter than standard plates, something like 15.5-16" compared to the regular 17.5-18" plates that appear most places. So by default pulling from the floor is a small deficit pull for me.
    Change gyms. Or use mats. Deficits suck when you're pulling 300+ pounds.

Glad I'll have my micro plates by Thursday so I can go up 2.5 pounds instead of five (I ordered a pair from Rogue).
    Nice. I noticed a big difference when I started microloading the pressing exercises. Have you purchased shoes yet?

You are already pretty darn strong. I would milk the LP for everything I could get out of it. I'm interested to see how far you get in the next 3 and 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by CDG View Post
    Welcome to the forums! The community around here is very knowledgeable, I'd suggest posting a form check as soon as you can and/or direct questions to the SSC QA sections. Many members around here answer questions as well, and we all encourage each other to continue lifting.

Change gyms. Dead serious.

Change gyms. Or use mats. Deficits suck when you're pulling 300+ pounds.

Nice. I noticed a big difference when I started microloading the pressing exercises. Have you purchased shoes yet?
    Thanks for the welcome! I will try and record myself ASAP. Possibly at tomorrow's session. As far as changing gyms, the only other option close is an LA Fitness, which means higher cost, a contract and likely still an inability to do cleans and potentially a place I couldn't deadlift. So I'm sort of stuck but I do really like my gym.

Yes I'm very excited to start microloading both the press and the bench. Am hoping they help spur progress where I've stalled out before.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post
    You are already pretty darn strong. I would milk the LP for everything I could get out of it. I'm interested to see how far you get in the next 3 and 6 months.
    Thank you! I have been lifting heavy somewhat consistently for the last 3-4 years and already have a decent amount of muscle mass built up, particularly in the posterior chain. My back development is pretty good for someone my size. I too am interested to see how far I can take a beginning LP before going into a full-fledged Texas Method, which is likely what I'll do next.

5/23/17
    Squat 3 x 5 (240)
    Bench 3 x 5 (165)
    Deadlift 1 x 5 (375)

Everything was clicking yesterday. Squats felt light, bench was adequate and the deadlifts flew up this session. Was very surprised as last time I deadlifted was a grind.

I'm debating whether or not to deadlift on Sunday and then again on Thursday of next week, as I think dropping deadlift volume to once a week already may serve my recovery well since it's so far ahead of my other lifts. I will think on it and decide, perhaps even after Sunday's deadlift session.

5/25/17
    Squat 3 x 5 (245)
    Press 3 x 5 (122.5)
    Chin-ups x 14, 10, 8
    Curls 3 x 8
    Push downs 3 x 15

Squats didn't feel quite as crisp as last session but I got through hem without grinding. Didn't eat as much the past couple days and will be sure to get in a lot of food the next 48 hours. Microplates came in and they're already paying dividends, as there's no way I would've gotten 3 x 5 at 125 pounds on the press.

starting strength coach development program
    5/28/17
    Squat 3 x 5 (250)
    Bench 3 x 5 (167.5)
    Weighted Chins 3 x 5 (57.5)

Well, today was both good and bad. I'll start with the bad.

On my second set of squats, I tweaked the left side of my lower back. Didn't think it was too serious and went ahead and finished out the set and did my third set, wise decision or not. Didn't aggravate it any further fortunately, and I don't think it's too severe.

The good news is, I know exactly why. It's because my "low bar" squat is actually more like a shitty high bar hybrid lol. Here is the video of my final set, after the tweak. I'm ready for everyone to crucify my form, so have at it:

Now that I've seen this, I know that I need to lower the bar a LOT and carry it on my rear delts obviously. I get the correct position now, so moving forward I can get my shit together and have proper form. Should I feel like I expect to feel by Tuesday, I'll likely treat that day like a Texas Method day for the squat but go super light, like 95 pounds, and work solely on form.

Will update on how things go. Hopefully I can get comfortable with the low bar position sooner than later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast