starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Coach,

I'd been recommending SS to tons of my friends without ever having done it, so I went ahead and bought all your books and read PP and all the exercise sections of SS. I'm impressed how simply you can convey things that other people seem to want people to think is some big mystery.

Enough praise for you, how about me But yea, I'm getting better at keeping my back tight in the hole, but I still feel like I need to get my back angle a little closer to parallel to the floor. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eObymKW5e3I

The little boy providing the sacrum-pressure is actually my girlfriend, and I think that is helping my form -- helping to generate hip drive out of the hole. If you find that my back is too vertical, is there a cue I can try to correct this?

Thanks in advance

The little boy you're dating is preventing this from happening, and is enabling you to maintain what you have correctly identified as an artificially vertical back angle by propping you up when you would otherwise be off balance. Your hip drive is correct and quite good; now, learn to do it by yourself and all things will be wonderful.

Hey Rip,

Rhanks for the quick reply. I instructed her to press down upon my sacrum to cue my hips to drive upward, as is mentioned in SS (only have PP and SE here at work right now, so I can't find the page number off hand). Is pressing down as you described in SS aiding my balance? Help me understand how her hand pressing down against me helps me stay upright, or how it's adjusting my back position.

Ultimately, I want to get the back closer to parallel to the ground (whilst maintaining a proper arch), so any advice you can provide there will be appreciated.

p.s., watch yourself, Mark. I bought all your books, so surely I don't want to learn this *all* by myself, and I bet your reps at Aasgard would agree

Your back angle looks fine to me, but if she is providing any resistance to any direction besides straight up, she is preventing some component of backward hip motion and therefore maintaining your balance to some extent. Besides, once you know to drive your butt up, you shouldn't need the hand cue every rep. The point is to learn it correctly, and if you need the constant reminder provided by her hand on your ass, you haven't learned it.

Other than that, letting her touch your ass is recommended.

Great!

I'd started with those stupid magazine templates, then found 5x5 for a little while, did the stupid bodybuilder stuff again and got my best gains from the Westside for Skinny Bastards program. I wanted to go back to basics to ensure everything is built upon a solid foundation, so I was worried that my back angle might need good work. She's not pushing anywhere but slightly down to help me do something I might already be fine at.

I'ma keep the low back tight down in the hole and bump it up to 235, hands free tomorrow morning.

Thanks again for the quick responses. The GF just started the SS program as well, so my only problem is reducing her time on that ridiculous stairstepper contraption. Keep an eye out for my power clean form checks soon to arrive

starting strength coach development program
    I can hardly wait.