Thread: High bar form check

Default High bar form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Link -> X - YouTube
    Weight -> 85kg
    Bodyweight -> 105kg
    Set -> 3

I'm praying Rip won't see a high bar form check and murder me.

Trust me, I know all the benefits of low bar, I want to do low bar, I have a lot of injuries that prevent me from doing low bar, I've spent months trying to do low bar (but failed massively) and high bar is the only type of squatting that I can do relatively safely. I will see an SSC in the future but until then, high bar squatting is better than no squatting.
    Last edited by SS2016; 05-17-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Most of those reps look a little high, but it is hard to tell with your knees blocked by the rack.

Thanks for the response

I have a video from Sunday's session of 80kg x 3 x 5 from the side angle and I was definitely hitting depth. From both judging from the mirror and proprioceptive feedback (if that's even a term), I was hitting depth in this set. I'm cutting it off pretty close as if I go any lower, my lumbar goes into flexion.

Do you have any comments/criticisms etc on my stance width, lumbar flexion, thoracic flexion, knee cave etc?

the depth looks barely ok, but hard to tell.

it looks like the bar is crunching down your neck.

seems like your upper thoracic posture could be better . . .maybe it looks this way from the low camera height.

if you are 105 kg, how tall are you?

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    the depth looks barely ok, but hard to tell.

it looks like the bar is crunching down your neck.

seems like your upper thoracic posture could be better . . .maybe it looks this way from the low camera height.

if you are 105 kg, how tall are you?
    Thanks for the response.

Yeah the depth is pretty close, but it is parallel.

I have effectively no traps (seriously it is ridiculous how small they are) so I assume that is giving the impression that the bar is destroying my neck. I have no neck pain during or after squatting.

Do you mean that it goes into flexion as I hit the hole? Or it doesn't look like its in extension from the beginning? I noticed I tried to remain far too upright for the first half of the lift and then decided to lean over slightly. On Friday, I'll lean over at the beginning, but still think about keeping my chest up.
    EDIT: I should add I have an anatomical kyphosis

Height = 6ft 5.5

Quote Originally Posted by SS2016 View Post
    Do you mean that it goes into flexion as I hit the hole?
    no, just looks like your neck is getting squished . . . like you upper thoracic and cerv. is squashed forward.

I get the idea about keep your hands close together, to bunch up the upper back and shoulder to create a ball of muscle for the bar . . .
    . . .but maybe you are over doing it (for high bar). Or, maybe I'm just seeing it wrong.

Or it doesn't look like its in extension from the beginning? I noticed I tried to remain far too upright for the first half of the lift and then decided to lean over slightly. On Friday, I'll lean over at the beginning, but still think about keeping my chest up.
    EDIT: I should add I have an anatomical kyphosis
    Height = 6ft 5.5
    I think you are doing OK, granted your height.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by SS2016 View Post

Do you have any comments/criticisms etc on my stance width, lumbar flexion, thoracic flexion, knee cave etc?
    No, they look OK.